Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Pavilion dm4 operating on Windows 7 64-bit. no error messages. No system changes (that I am aware of). Don't believe it is a key sticking (could be wrong). The sound is irregular so that makes me believe it is not a sticky key.

Help 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
If the beeping happens when the notebook is muted, then it is the internal speaker which is designed to give alerts when something has failed or if a key is held too long.

However, it doesn't seem that there is a true hardware issue since it is irregular and all appears to be working.

A good place to start is to perform a hard reset.

Disconnect everything from the notebook including the battery and charger.
Hold the power button for 1 full minute.
Reinsert only the battery and charger.

Power the notebook on and let me know if it is still exhibiting the behavior.

What is the full model of the notebook?
NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Unfortunately despite a Hard reset performed this morning the beeps continues apace.   Further thoughts? 

Notebook model number: Pavilion dm 4 1140SA

HP Recommended
I failed to ask this question, but is the notebook able to get into Windows and function properly outside of the beeping?
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Yes, everything (Windows etc.) seems to be working fine.

HP Recommended
To be honest, I am not entirely certain what is happening with it. The beeps you are hearing are system beeps rather than Windows sounds since they are present when audio is muted. This is usually done when there is a hardware component that fails a POST or if a key is held down or stuck. However, that does not appear to be the case since it can get into Windows and all seems to be working.

Is there a pattern to the beeps such as two beeps followed by a 3-4 second pause with it repeating this pattern?

Signature
HP Recommended

The beeping is irregular with no pattern.  I have even tried to work out if there is a specific time when it happens i.e. after working on the computer for an hour, or if it only occurs when the power cable is inserted, or battery gets hot.  I will keep trying different things but running out of options.   Again any thoughts?

HP Recommended
This is definitely some strange behavior and I do not have an answer at the exact moment.

However, I wanted to let you know that I am still looking into this and will report back once I have something new.

If you could, boot into safe mode and let me know if it still happens.

Power the notebook off.
Power it on and press F8 about once a second.
Select Safe Mode with Network.
Also, let me know if it beeps on the safe mode selection menu.

Signature
HP Recommended

I see this issue is quite old and wanted to throw my hat into the ring.  For the last year and a half I have been experiencing this same issue.   It sounds like the PC speaker (if it has one) beeping every so often.  There is no clear pattern happening.  It is very random and very annoying.   Has anyone come up with a fix and or a reason for this?

HP Recommended

Would love to say the problem has gone away but it still persists.  I tried the hard reset and other tests but to no avail.  I am happy to try any other tests and that may help others in the community.

It's a challenge 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.