Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 17-j053ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my laptop is connected to my TV via HDMI the laptop display shows on the TV but the sound plays though the laptop speakers and not the TV.

I have had this problem since I bought the laptop in October 2013, when it was running Windows 8, it is now running Windows 10, which has made no difference.

I have tried updating the drivers for the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M), Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adapter and speakers. If I go into the playback devices the TV does not show up, even when it is set to display disabled and disconnected devices, but I don't know why.

I know the problem is something to do with my laptop and not the TV or HDMI cable because it works with 2 other laptops in my house, and the TV is shown as an audio device on both.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, that driver should have worked.

Just click on that folder 7-zip created because I want to show you where to find the driver.  We are now going to try to force the installation.

Click on the folder and it will show several folders.  Click on the DisplayAudio folder.

Then there are two folders inside that one.  Click on the top one listed (6.16.00.3178).

Then click on the IntcDAud Setup information file and you will see the driver for the hardware ID you posted.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2807&SUBSYS_80860101.

Close out of that now.

Go to the device manager and click on the HD audio device again.  Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option again, but this time at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.  Then click on Have Disk and browse right to that IntcDAud Setup information file and see if the driver will install that way.

If it does, restart the PC.  If it doesn't, unfortunately, I have no idea why that driver won't install because it should have worked using the first method.

But that missing driver is why you have no audio from the HDMI out port.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers device manager category.

There you should see an IDT HD audio device, and an Intel HD audio device.

If you just see a device along with the IDT HD audio device, labeled HD audio device, that means the Intel HD audio device is missing the driver, which is why you get video and no sound from the HDMI out port.

If that is what you see, let me know, and I will walk you through the process to install just the Intel HDMI audio driver, since the video works.

HP Recommended

Yes that is what I see, the IDT Audio and High Definition Audio Device.

HP Recommended

OK, hopefully we will have that fixed in a jiffy...

First download and install this free file utlility.  The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, download and save, but do not run this Intel graphics driver.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72370.exe

Once you have saved the graphics driver file, right click on it and select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp72370).

After 7-Zip does its thing, go to the device manager and click on that plain HD Audio device (not the IDT one).

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC, and see if you now have audio and video via the HDMI out port.

HP Recommended

When I try this it says 'The best driver software for your device is already installed'.

HP Recommended

Interesting. 

That process normally works.

Please post the hardware ID for the HD audio device.

To find the hardware ID, click on the HD audio device in the device manager.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the HD audio device.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

HP Recommended

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2807&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2807&SUBSYS_80860101

HP Recommended

OK, that driver should have worked.

Just click on that folder 7-zip created because I want to show you where to find the driver.  We are now going to try to force the installation.

Click on the folder and it will show several folders.  Click on the DisplayAudio folder.

Then there are two folders inside that one.  Click on the top one listed (6.16.00.3178).

Then click on the IntcDAud Setup information file and you will see the driver for the hardware ID you posted.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2807&SUBSYS_80860101.

Close out of that now.

Go to the device manager and click on the HD audio device again.  Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option again, but this time at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.  Then click on Have Disk and browse right to that IntcDAud Setup information file and see if the driver will install that way.

If it does, restart the PC.  If it doesn't, unfortunately, I have no idea why that driver won't install because it should have worked using the first method.

But that missing driver is why you have no audio from the HDMI out port.

HP Recommended

It worked! Thank you very much. =]

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That was a stubborn one!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.