Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I connect my Pavilion DV6-2112sa to my TV via HDMI, the sound is played from the PC speakers, not the TV. The video is fine.

Running Windows 7 64bit from factory

Device Manager:

Display Adapter:  ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

Sound, Video and Game controllers:

ATI High Definition Audio Device                     Driver: AtiHdmi.sys              Version: 5.0.7000.6

IDT High Definition Audio Codec

WsAudio_DeviceS(1)

WsAudio_DeviceS(2)

WsAudio_DeviceS(3)                                         (I have no idea what these are)

WsAudio_DeviceS(4)

WsAudio_DeviceS(5)

The HDMI Output Device does not show up under Sound in Control Panel, and Windows says that the drivers for the devices listed above are up to date.

Thanks In Advance

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Nobody knows?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't have first hand experience with this but I found this little guide on what to do in general:

"HDMI has its own audio driver separate from the audio system of the computer (Sigmatel, IDT, or Realtek ). It is incorporated into the graphics card's driver, so first make sure you have the newest version of your graphics card driver. On models with Intel graphics the HDMI audio driver will appear in the Device Manager as "Audio device on high
definition audio bus". 

As you can see from your model with the ATI graphics your HDMI audio is showing up as ATI High Definition Audio Device.

Connecting the laptop to the TV:

"Every time you try a different solution you should reboot the computer using the following procedure. HDMI audio is
pretty picky and doesn't seem to work well without a reboot, in general.

Also the computer should be off when connecting the HDMI cable.

1 Turn off the computer and TV.
2 Connect the HDMI cable to the computer and TV.
3 Then turn the TV on. Adjust its setting to receive HDMI audio.
4 Next, turn on the computer to allow it to detect the connection to the TV.
5 Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab. Select the HDMI device as the
default device. Click the Set Default button, and then click OK."

Someone else said they did this and it worked:

"I've got it working now! Here's what I did.

Turn on computer with HDMI plugged in
Go to control panel -> sound / audio. This opens the Sound & Audio Device
Properties window Go to Audio Tab. Sound Playback likely reads 'Realtek HD'. (Yours will say IDT HD)
Unplug the HDMI cable from the computer. Wait 5 or 10 seconds and plug back in.
Now in the same Souund Playback dropdown you'll hopefully see HDMI Device.
Select that, and click Apply. Now, you should have audio going through to your
TV."

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but it still doesn't work. HDMI audio doesn't show up in my 'Sound ---> Playback' tab.

Here are some screenshots from various programs all giving different results for whether the HDMI device is enabled or not:

HP support assistant.jpg

IDT audio.jpgWindows Sound.jpg

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, was on HP live support for an hour, the guided me through all the things to try, none worked, they said to restore my PC to original factory settings, since then i have had the same problem which i fixed easily, just go to control panel, select  Dolby Advanced Audio,under playback devises make sure the volume is turned up, mine was down, i just slid the slider up, and the problem was fixed, dont know why HP didnt tell me this

HP Recommended
It worked for me! Thank you
HP Recommended

This is the first time I've had the issue as most movies typically switch right over. However, I was trying to start in the middle of a movie. I'm using Amazon Prime on my Toshiba Laptop and connecting to a Samsung TV with HDMI. 

I did try turning on/off devices, but what finally worked was clicking on "sound" on my computer and noticed that it had muted both the speakers on my computer AND on the TV. I turned up the volume on my computer/laptop for the TV and that did the trick. 

Thanks - this took about 5 minutes using the directions! 

HP Recommended

With win8 you go to control panel-select sound then Advanced Dolby Audio then adjust the volume slider, i went on HP Support Assistant about this problem for an hour 3 people got me to try different things, in the end they couldn't solve the problem, they told me to send laptop back to factory which cost a fortune, should have sent them the bill, not one mentioned Advanced Dolby Audio.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.