Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
All-In-One 200-5020
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just took an offer from Microsoft for a free Windows 10 upgrade and ever since the download, these is no sound from my desk top computer at all.  It appears that all is working(button, speaker symbal, checking Device manager,,,,) but no sounds.

I previously had Windows 7 on my unit.

Here is some info

My desk top: All-In-One 200-5020

Product #: BK257AA-ABA

PCBRAND: Pavilion

Realtek High Definition Audio

Hardware ID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_103C2AA2&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_103C2AA2

I have seached the internet for a solution and tried all kinds of suggestions but without any success!  Please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

If reinstalling the driver doesn't work, then try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... Browse my computer for driver software Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and then follow the rest of the instructions to install it.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi

Here is how to fix the "No Sound" issue on Windows 10:

How to fix No Sound on Windows 10 issue

Step 1: Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select Playback Devices from the ensuing context menu.

Step 2: Select the current playback device in use and by default it should be the speakers. Double-click on it to open its properties window.

Step 3: Got to Advanced section and change the bit rate to either of the following - 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz - depending on the speaker configuration.

If the issue is still unresolved, you can try another method for restoring sound:

Step 1: Launch Start Menu, search for Device Manager and then launch it.

Step 2: Expand Sound and audio devices.

Step 3: Right-click on the current sound driver and choose uninstall.

Step 4: Finally, click on Scan for hardware changes and the updated driver will be automatically installed.

That's it. Your computer speakers should now be able to play sound normally. If the sound is still not working, then try downloading and installing the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 from the manufacturer's website.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Hi Manjunath

Thanks for your reply.  I tried with both bit rates as you recommended but it's still not working.  The video is playing without any sounds...

How do I  go about downloading and installing the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 from the manufacturer's website?  Do you mean HP website?  If yes, does this HP website has the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 availble for anyone to download?  How do I know what or which Sound Card Driver I need from their website?  Sorry I sound like a computer dummy... I actually maybe one.

HP Recommended

Hi

If reinstalling the driver doesn't work, then try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... Browse my computer for driver software Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and then follow the rest of the instructions to install it.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Hello Manjunath

Your last suggestion took care of the issue.  All is well now.  Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

I have  tried all these suggestions and still no audio fromSpeakers. i get sound if i use a headset but nothing from thebuilt in speakers.

HP Recommended

It did not work. Super frustrated. Sound is so low I can hardly hear it. Did all driver updates which didn't need it. Upgraded to Win 10 when this happened. HP Pavilion Notebook G7-1033cl

HP Recommended

Just received our new HP All-In-One PC 19-2412, and the built-in speaker dont work. Windows 10 came with the new unit.

How do we activate the speakers that are built-into the face of the display?

David

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm not sure if this resolve your problem but I had a similar problem when I had my computer upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.  Someone from this forum suggented this and it worked for me.

"If reinstalling the driver doesn't work, then try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... Browse my computer for driver software Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and then follow the rest of the instructions to install it."

Hope this helps..

HP Recommended

HP Pavillion G series with AMD A6 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.4 GHz. I have tried all previous solutions which don't work for me. No speaker or headphones message is displayed re speaker icon. In device manager there are no choices for  any audio devices. Under Sound AMD High Definition Audio Device and IDT High Definition Audio Codec  exist. I have tried uninstalling devices and updating drivers with no results ie states current driver is suposedly best installed and the devices all work ok. But obviously the audio isn't working regardless. Note I do get sound when HDMI is plugged in re tv. Other external speakers and earphones do not work. Apparently Win 10 allocates audio to monitor via hdmi and cuts off internal speakers function. I need to enable win 10 to recognize and allow the internal speakers to function. Note I also can't find drivers from AMD for my system so I have not tried that method to try and solve the no audio issue. Thanks in advance

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.