Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is a software bug in HP Paviliion laptop.  while the laptop recognises headphones when they are plugged in, the playback list of audio devices does not show the headphones.   Because the headphones are not listed, they cannot be selected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @rdunne,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. Smiley Happy A very good day to you! Smiley Happy I read the post regarding the headset not detected in playback devices. I will be delighted to assist you here. Smiley Happy

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular troubleshooting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy We greatly value your relationship with HP.  

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

• Has the headset ever worked before?
  • Did this happen after a software or windows update?
  • Did you try a different headset to isolate the issue further?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer.

For starters please try these steps and check if it resolves the issue.

Please try with a different headset first. If that does not work try the steps mentioned below.

Right click on the “Volume icon” on the bottom right corner.

b) Select “Recording devices”.

c) Under the “Recording” tab right click on the white empty space and check the box that says, “Show disabled devices” and “Show disconnected devices”.

d) Right click on “Stereo Mix” and “Enable” this device.

e) Highlight “Stereo Mix”, click on “Properties” and go to the “Listen” tab.

f) Check the box "Listen to this device", also change the drop-down box below "Playback through this device" to be your second audio device.

g) To verify that you've done this correctly, go back to the sound dialog tab “Playback”, you should now see both of your audio devices showing the little green graphs moving.

If this does not fix it, please perform a system restore to an earlier time before the issue occurred from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Please select the option “Restore your computer when Windows starts normally”. Then follow the on-screen instructions and check again.

If it still does not work, please go to device manager and uninstall the audio drivers. Steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @rdunne,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. Smiley Happy A very good day to you! Smiley Happy I read the post regarding the headset not detected in playback devices. I will be delighted to assist you here. Smiley Happy

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular troubleshooting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy We greatly value your relationship with HP.  

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

• Has the headset ever worked before?
  • Did this happen after a software or windows update?
  • Did you try a different headset to isolate the issue further?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer.

For starters please try these steps and check if it resolves the issue.

Please try with a different headset first. If that does not work try the steps mentioned below.

Right click on the “Volume icon” on the bottom right corner.

b) Select “Recording devices”.

c) Under the “Recording” tab right click on the white empty space and check the box that says, “Show disabled devices” and “Show disconnected devices”.

d) Right click on “Stereo Mix” and “Enable” this device.

e) Highlight “Stereo Mix”, click on “Properties” and go to the “Listen” tab.

f) Check the box "Listen to this device", also change the drop-down box below "Playback through this device" to be your second audio device.

g) To verify that you've done this correctly, go back to the sound dialog tab “Playback”, you should now see both of your audio devices showing the little green graphs moving.

If this does not fix it, please perform a system restore to an earlier time before the issue occurred from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Please select the option “Restore your computer when Windows starts normally”. Then follow the on-screen instructions and check again.

If it still does not work, please go to device manager and uninstall the audio drivers. Steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions re: recording devices and that at least output audio through the headphones.  The quality of the audio though was poor, echoing.  So I uninstalled the driver for Realtek audio, I think it was Realtek and restarted the laptop.  As soon as the desktop appeared the laptop automatically started downloading a driver for a High Definition Audio Device.  After the install completed I played a news video from yahoo.com and the echoing was gone, the audio was fixed.  Cheers.

HP Recommended

Hi @rdunne,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.