Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17-y023nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I play a video file or load a game music can be heard playing in the background, it is low but not affected by changes to the volume. The laptop is only two weeks old so I have no music on it. Happens even if disconnect from internet, unplug and remove battery for a while. If I stop the vifeo or quit the game the music stops.

I searched onlie and programmes like Kaspersky's TDSKiller and Malwarebytes were recommended but they found nothing, neither did my anti virus (webroot).

It started suddenly today, the only thing I did that could explain a virus was downloading scientific articles for my thesis, one of them was linked via a torrent which did nothing.

If you are wondering wht type of music there was some pop song I recognize but couldn't name and couldn't make out others.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

While not very scientific, try doing the activity that produces the "background music" in a different location, perferably in a different building.  So if it happens at home, try in the coffee shop or in the library.  If it does not happen away from where you first noticed this, it might be a device is picking up OTA radio or TV, but not as likely now that TV is digital.  We "old timers"  used to hear things as decribed when things were just right for a radio station to get into other electronics.  Just a thought.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

While not very scientific, try doing the activity that produces the "background music" in a different location, perferably in a different building.  So if it happens at home, try in the coffee shop or in the library.  If it does not happen away from where you first noticed this, it might be a device is picking up OTA radio or TV, but not as likely now that TV is digital.  We "old timers"  used to hear things as decribed when things were just right for a radio station to get into other electronics.  Just a thought.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

That seems to have been it, no sign of the problem today. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.