Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using Windows 10 for quite a few months now with no issue. My sound has been crystal clear until this morning when my computer automatically updated itself. After the update I noticed that my sound (which was working perfectly fine before the update) was unclear and muffled, along with a static noise when the music I was listening to hit a higher note. This hadn't happened before. Not until I updated. So far I have checked to see if I need to update something new for my audio device in Device Manager, but I was told everything is up to date. 

Previously, a few years ago, I had a similar issue when updating to Windows 8, but instead my audio completely went out. I am waiting to see if something like that will happen again. I am unsure of what to do about my audio currently, though I'm afraid of uninstalling my sound card in case I cannot get it back despite being told it will come back. Beyond that, I have no idea what to do for my specific product. I've read that many others have had similar issues, so if anyone could help me I'd be very grateful. 

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi , 

Could you update IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver and check ?

Version 6.10.6425.0

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59802.exe

Also , I suggest you to disable all enhancements in Speakers properties and check. Refer the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Double-Click on the Sound Icon and click on Speakers.
  4. Click on Properties.
  5. Click on Enhancements Tab.
  6. Now click "Disable All Sound Effects"
  7. Click OK and check if issue persists.

If issue still persists, as a workaround, I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the Sound drivers in Compatibility mode and check if it works for youRefer to the steps below:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Sound driver:

1. Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
  2. Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers.
  3. Right-click on the Sound device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  4. Select the option to Delete driver software.
  5. Restart the computer after its uninstalled. 

Now download the drivers the manufacturer website and install it in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. Follow the steps provided below to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

1. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
  2. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for “and select Windows 8.1 operating system from the drop down.
  3. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Hope this helps you ..... 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello,

please ensure you create a system restore point on the notebook and backup complete data.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

please uninstall the Audio drivers from device manager - restart

then ,update audio and bios from HP WEBSITE 

http://support.hp.com/us-en

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Regards,
Vijay
HP Recommended

I uninstalled my audio drive after creating a restore point, and when I reinstalled my audio drive nothing changed. My audio is still muffled and full of static. 

HP Recommended

Hi , 

Could you update IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver and check ?

Version 6.10.6425.0

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59802.exe

Also , I suggest you to disable all enhancements in Speakers properties and check. Refer the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Double-Click on the Sound Icon and click on Speakers.
  4. Click on Properties.
  5. Click on Enhancements Tab.
  6. Now click "Disable All Sound Effects"
  7. Click OK and check if issue persists.

If issue still persists, as a workaround, I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the Sound drivers in Compatibility mode and check if it works for youRefer to the steps below:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Sound driver:

1. Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
  2. Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers.
  3. Right-click on the Sound device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  4. Select the option to Delete driver software.
  5. Restart the computer after its uninstalled. 

Now download the drivers the manufacturer website and install it in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode. Follow the steps provided below to install the drivers in compatibility mode:

1. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
  2. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for “and select Windows 8.1 operating system from the drop down.
  3. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Hope this helps you ..... 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I tried to update the Audio Driver to Version 6.10, but I was told that there isn't enough room for the update. Then when I tried to Disable the Sound Effects I couldn't find the specifc place I needed to go to find the Speakers tab because my Control Panel isn't set up the way you described since I am using Windows 10. I have also previously uninstalled the Sound Driver and reinstalled it and nothing had changed. 

HP Recommended
So now my audio is completely off and every time I attempt to reinstall the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, it won't work because there's an error. After reading multiple different solutions, they say to install the High Definition Audio CODEC (not IDT), but there is a warming message that things could go wrong with my computer if I do that. I've heard it will work, but I'm cautious about actually installing it. Will something go wrong?
HP Recommended

I rebooted my computer, which left me with enough file space to update my audio driver. My sound is perfectly fine now. Thank you very much. 

HP Recommended

Is the unit is working fine now ?

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.