Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm dealing with the same thing!  I'm about to throw this machine through a window!

Robert S. Rodriguez Jr.
HP Recommended

Same problem here on my HDX-X16t-1200.  The volume, bass or treble will pop up on the screen and slide up and down randomly...making it impossible to use.  I've tried all approaches.  The one thing I notice is it seems to be worse if the machine has been running a while and has gotten somewhat hot.  Those of you with the problem may or may not notice that the eject button doesn't work either.  Mute and WiFi button seem to work faithfully, though when the sound sliders start going amok, the WiFi may shut off too.  Sound familiar?

There are MANY MANY posts on this problem in the Sound and Audio forum and also in the Hardware forum.  Don't expect HP to do anything about these posts, I'm sure they don't pay any attention to this forum.

I think the only way to approach this problem is to contact HP support directly and open a case.  They will make you do a bunch of stuff that won't help or will help a little, but not solve the problem.  Then they will finally want you to send the laptop in.  I can't do this right now cuz of school needs.  But my year warranty isn't up until August, so HP will hear from me soon.

I believe this is a hardware problem and needs to be fixed by HP.  All of you need to contact HP and stick with it unitl they fix this problem and/or replace the computers.  Don't let up...keep dogging them, just as I will.

HP Recommended
I sent HP an email saying the same thing. The black Volume bar keeps flashing onscreen and the touch buttons do NOT work any more. I up graded my DV7 from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64 bit and at the beginning, everything worked fine. Nothing really happened and all of a sudden, my volume would automatically start flashing across the screen and arbitrarily start going up and down without control. When I am REMOTE CONNECTED to another computer, it doesn't do it. When I am on the internet, it does it all the time. However, unlike some of you, the longer I am online, the less it does it. I don't know what it causing this, but I can tell you it is ANNOYING! I open my laptop and for the 1st 15 to 20 minutes the volume bar flashes without remorse or without any end in sight. The longer I am on, it lessens. Either way, it shouldn't be, my touch sensitive buttons do not work any more, just want to find out what patch or update that can be done to fix it. I have done all the HP updates for my machine (DV7 1646NR) and I have done all of the Windows Updates for this operating system to no avail....I still have the issue. It would be nice to find someone who would take our complaint seriously and fix this issue because I really DO like this computer. The keys are wonderful, the performance it awesome, the online stuff works great...this volume thing is just plain annoying. Hopefully, someone will find an answer to our issue soon.....
HP Recommended

Don't rely on someone else to discover what the problem is.  Work actively with HP to get it fixed and do not relent until they do.  The more people that engage HP with this issue, the more likely we are to get a fix.  Take matters into your own hands and keep harrasing them if they seem like they are too lax or not forthcoming.

HP Recommended

um to the guy that says he works for hp, well um sorry dude i found the problem with the touch controls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok well i notice this issue as you all did just a day after i got my dv7 laptop. now i did the battery thing and updated the drivers and bios, etc. so after that did work i know im dealing with a hardware issue. so when ever you deal with a hardware issue you need to understand you hardware. so i started touching the pannel and touch the area around it and found that if i apply pressure by rubbing the speaker area below the vol bar it would cuz the button lights to go on and off and give me back control of the mute/wireless button. but if i moved my laptop of tapped it too much by typing or just moving it and setting it down the volume would move by itself and i would lose control of the buttons again. so i repeated the same process to see if it would give me back control, and guess what it would, and some times the buttons would go out competely. so i was think there must a loose wires/bad connection some where to cause this. so after down loading the hp service manual for my dv7 i looked up how to remove my touch panel, and fallow the steps and took it off. and wow the mine wiring (the only wiring for the panel) is directly below the vol bar in the speaker grill. and the wire just came off like nothing, b/c it was not connected correctly. so after i connceted it and pushed the hold down tab for the wire in correct to firmly hold the wire in place, well wouldnt you know it the touch panel works great!!!!!!!!

i know it had to be something simple, b/c my bro has had his dv4 for months with no issues and it has the same touch pannel though smaller. so i know many of you dont know how to remove it (panel), so ill make a youtube video and post it tomorrow some time. look under hp dv7 touch panel fix when searching youtube. funny how 1 person (engineering student) solved this issue while hp is not, they could have payed me 100 bucks and i would have found the solution to this, and im guessing the people they are paying to look in to this must be paid much more then that. so look for the how to video on youtube.!!!!!!!:smileyhappy:smileyhappy:smileyhappy:smileyhappy:smileyhappy:smileyhappy:smileyhappy: "hp dv7 touch panel fix" in youtube search.....

HP Recommended

Ok guy's your problem is not going to be solved by updating your BIOS or updating DRIVERS like I have read in the past, what you need to do is change your BIOS settings. To do this you need to reboot your system, when the HP symbol comes up tap F10 you will get a blue screen. You will not be able to use your mouse use the arrow keys at the bottom of your key board. at the top of the blue screen scroll over to System Configuration hit enter. Scroll down and over to BUTTON SOUND. You need to move over to ENABLE make sure ENABLE is highlighted and hit enter this will DISABLE it. Hit Save and Exit.

This is normally used to stop unwanted clicking noises and volume pop ups on your screen but it will also fix this problem as well.

Good luck and let me know how it worked.

HP Recommended

I also have this problem with my dv4i laptop. I noticed that it only happens after you shutdown and reboot. It doesn't happen with a restart. The volume bar goes up and down erratically for about 10-15 seconds and then stops. At the very least, I am able to adjust the volume back to normal, but this problem is very annoying. I've been having so many problems with this laptop and the personnel for HP chat support are a bunch of useless people. One person even said that it wasn't a known problem and that the best I could do was wait for a released fix. It just figures that they don't even read their own forums.

HP Recommended

i´m having the same problem, at the same time my mouse doesn´t let me make same selections sometimes.

i made a research but didn´t find nothing, i have dv-6736 with win7 64bits original and always accept the upgrades by microsoft. i ´ll try do make a system restore.

HP Recommended

Well, good luck w/ that! I got some moron from HP that said since I upgraded to Windows 7 they will not help me w/ my dv7 1279wm until I reinstall the out-dated OS. This is definatley my last HP. My last 6 computers were HP and the service stinks.

Anyway, my sound ghost occurs only when my laptop gets hot around 3 hours of computing. The sound starts to decrease around 5-10% and then increases 1-2% continually until I am left w/ no sound or somewhere around 5% sound left. The mute button will mute for half a second and then turns itself back on without any instruction from me. I've done all the updates but I'm not about to downgrade my OS to satisfy some stupid rule on their part. Just get the **bleep** thing fixed already!

HP Recommended

Im having the same issue with mine.. started the very first day I bought the computer.  I took it back to best buy where I purchased it and they said sorry you have to call HP.. I call HP, I get on the phone with a person who does not speak english, and took 3 hours out of my day to attempt to fix this.. They suggested I take it back to best buy.  I take it back to them and they charge me $150.00 (remember this is one day after I purchased it) they said there was a virsue causing it.. BUT i hadnt been able to do anything with it yet so if there was a virus it came with the computer.    So I suck it up and pay the money.  Take it home and guess what,  the volume goes up and down up and down just like it did from day one.   I call HP and best buy but nobody wants to back up their product.   I make sure I tell everyone NOT to buy HP, facebook, twitter, email, friends, business associates exc..  I am so fed up with this computer im ready to throw it out the window.  so much for that grand I spend for a piece of junk..   I wish I had a thriving company that I could pass off bad merchandise, not back it up and still be able to sleep at night.

Sincerely,

FED UP!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.