Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13 x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The audio on my computer is being forcibly muted.

The mute button on the keyboard has the light on but pressing the button again doesn't do any good to turn the mute off. The audio bar is permanently stuck on the screen, and the option to control the volume on the bottom right is also stuck on mute. Both are blinking. When I try to raise the volume by clicking and dragging it up or pressing the increase volume button on the keyboard, the volume increases until I let go. As soon as I realease my mouse click or the button on the keyboard, it shoots back down to silent. The same thing happens when I try to adjust the volume using the volume control panel.

I have no idea how this happened. I have tried to turn the computer off and back on but have had no luck.

Any ideas or advice that could help me with this situation? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @justsami,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I understand  that your  mute button is  malfunctioning. You can raise the volume level using the button on the keyboard or the onscreen one, but once released then it automatically mutes again.

Here are two links that may help:

HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 10, 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you run the  HP Support Assistant ?

Have you tried running the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you checked for viruses and malware?

If the issue remains, I would do a refresh.  Refresh Windows 10 (from tenforums.com)

If the issue remains you could do a recovery back to factory. 

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

If you are in warranty you also have the option to contact HP support for assistance. With your permission they can remotely access your system to help find and fix issues.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

Please let me know the outcome.

Good Luck!

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the Thumbs Up Icon below.  

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.