Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP G72T-200 CTO Notebook PC WINDOWS 7

My laptop has a broken headphone jack (piece of plastic fell out of it) and thinks there is something plugged into the jack and won't default to the internal speakers. I've rolled back, reloaded drivers, run audio sound fix it thing, etc. Headphones will work if you hold plug and jiggle to the side. Is there anyway to just disable the jack so I can hear sound through the internal speakers?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi TR,

What happens if you Disable the HeadPhones?

Taskbar > Right-Click Sound > Playback Devices >

Highlight Commincation Headphones >

Properties > Device Usage > Select from Drop-Down Menu >> Disable

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Under playback device I have 1 option "Realtek High Def Audio default device" under its properties in jack info it is on Left Panel 3.5mm jack and It won't let me click over to internal jack.

If I disable it the laptop says it has no sound input and fixes itself by reactivating same realtek device w/ left panel jack as source......

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey TR,

21Jan...

Can you stick a powered speaker on that jack and fix it so it doesn't wiggle much until you can get it fixed? 

22 Jan...

The only fixes I have found for this are for Linux. 

One can risk a registry fix, though I've not found a sure way to do it.  The fix depends on knowing your sound card (I do not), and knowing the exact entry fix (I might, but I won't risk your system).

My sage advice is to get it fixed and be done with it. :cathappy:

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Found out its a hardware issue from a cheap broken headphone jack that I can have it replaced for about $150+.................but I've found a way around it and got a USB to audio converter jack which gives me a new headphone and microphone jack via USB, still can't use internal speakers but oh well only cost about $15.

HP Recommended

My old Dad has audio equipment around that still works - and it was manufactured decades ago.  I don't think anything is made like that any more.  There seems to be an invisible little stamp on things made today that says, "Die on This Date".  The "Die Date" is very soon after the date the item was made.  It's a real shame.

Sometimes the fix is a workaround.

Thanks for reporting back - it's worth knowing the outcome!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yeah, despite these "modern conveniences" I've never had so much difficulty getting anything done. CYA

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.