Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The red light is on the with a locked sign .   how can I unlock it 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

If the audio is still muted, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Double-click 'Speakers and Headphones' select the Levels tab and click once on the speaker symbol just to the left of 'Balance'.

If the problem still persists, post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

If the audio is still muted, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Double-click 'Speakers and Headphones' select the Levels tab and click once on the speaker symbol just to the left of 'Balance'.

If the problem still persists, post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. I am not tecky at all. I tried the first one and it worked. The only problem I see is that the volume icon near to the wifi bar is red and it has a circle in front that depicts locked . Is that normal and leave it alone.

Thank you so much. You are indeed a saviour

Cathy

HP Recommended

Hi Cathy,

You're welcome and good t hear it's working Smiley Happy

Can you post back with the following.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have successfully installed Windows 8 Enterprise on a HP Pavilion zv6131us laptop. The laptop has two AL speakers, which worked very well under Windows 7 Enterprise.

Now, the sound doesnt't work, the speaker icon is red crossed, while right clicking "Playback devices" gives the "Sound" windows Playback tab mention: "No audio devices are installed".

Anything I have tried from last Microsoft Windows 8 updating till HP possibility to update the laptop drivers (actually impossible as HP does not offer anymore support for this machine with Windows 😎 did not work.

Any other sites providing free drivers updating were used but without any success.

The machine identifiers are:

S/N   [Personal Information Removed]

P/N EC358UA#ABA

How to solve this issue in order to make speakers working ?

Sincerely,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hello Mike2013.  I understand that you've encountered some sound problems after upgrading your Pavilion ZV6131 to Windows 8.

I took a look at your notebook's Software and Drivers page and noticed it originally shipped with Windows 2000 or Windows XP.  So, it is unlikely that there is a specific (non-generic) driver for the sound card.  However, since it worked in Windows 7 there is hope.  I would like you to provide me with the hardware ID for the device and I can use that to attempt to locate driver software for you.  Try the following.

1. Press the Windows+X key combination for either Desktop or Metro view.  This opens the "Context Menu."
  2. Select "Device Manager."
  3. Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" and "Other Devices" sections.
  4. Right click on each device listed in these two sections and select "Properties."
  5. Select the "Details" tab and select "Hardware Ids" from the drop-down menu.
  6. I will use these hardware IDs to locate any drivers which may be available for the notebook.

I look forward to your response!  I hope you're having a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply and detailed information.

Unfortunately, under Windows 8 Pro 64 bit the speaker icon remained red crossed while the Device Manager windows/tag  never listed any sound device (speakers, etc.). After investigating the provided driver for this HP Pavilion zv6131us, I  found that the audio driver was conceived and recognized only for 32 bit precision OS, no matter if the target machine supports 64 bit OSs, moreover he respective driver was never updated.

So, I have renounced to the 64 bit installed W8 version and I have re-installed the 32 bit version. Immediately the speaker icon appeared OK while under Device manager the speaker device also appeared as being OK. Thus, I have to work under 32 bit precision, also with MS Office 2013, etc.

I was looking over the Web for that new update driver or any other similar one for 64 bit precision, working on this laptop but I did not found it.

Sincerely,

Mihail

HP Recommended

Hello again Mike2013.  

Are you referring to using the original Windows 2000/XP driver within Windows 8?  That is indeed highly unlikely to work.  However, it doesn't mean that there isn't a driver which can support this hardware.  I would like to look for you so if you can post the hardware IDs I will be more than happy to do so.

I look forward to your reply.  Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.