Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP G71-340US Notebook. The built in Microphone isn't working. I've tried uninstalling then re-installing the sound card driver but it's just like it doesn't exist. It will offer to do the set up but when I hit the record button, it offers the signal bar but shows nothing hapenning on it. Almost like the microphone is unplugged and the laptop doesn't realize it.

Thanks for any advice.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Please check the following link. This should be helpful:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00833331

Regards,
Deka
----------------------------------------
**I work for HP.**Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give a quick thanks.
HP Recommended

I've been on that link probably a dozen times today and have tried un-installing and re-installing just like it says to no avail. It's just like it's switched to the off position.

HP Recommended

I don't know if this will help, but I can tell you that my built in microphone on my older Compaq MV520 was not working when I got my computer. It is working now, so I can tell you some of the things I've done. I've read other posts and agree with them. All right, the first step I took, of course, won't apply to your notebook but might help someone else with PC built in microphone issues. It's the simple test of making sure your cord to your monitor also is plugged into your microphone outlet on your computer. Sorry, but I felt I should at least mention this step. Second step, of course, as previously mentioned by others, go to your multimedia sound, games, etc. in device manager of My Computer, System, and remove the audio drive, and of course, when you restart, your notebook should recognize your sound card. Another thing you can do is, look around for the make and model of your built in microphone device, and go to add new hardware and manually add this in. If you put in your original operating system disk, it should find drivers and reinstall them, this should help. Also, get a microphone and headset that you can plug in, if possible to test and see if that works. If so, yes, you could have a malfunctioning built in microphone. Test your built in microphone with programs like Sound Recorder, Audacity, Pure Voice, etc., and see if anything is recording for you. Hope this helps. Mine is sometimes quirky but does work. It may not be your microphone.

HP Recommended

my internal microphone is not working. the audio device listed in the control panel does not show internal microphone. only the external microphone and the sterio mix  are their. do i have to reinstall the internal microphone? how do i do it?

HP Recommended

I have a one year old Windows 10 laptop with an AMD CPU. My internal microphone no longer works. I've checked all the drivers and tried uninstalling and reiinstalling without success. I ran the Windows Troubleshooter and it say the problem is that the microphone is unplugged. It's internal; I didn't unplug it. How do I address this problem?

HP Recommended

You may have to go into the bios and enable the microphone from the built in device config section

HP Recommended

Please, tell, how do I "go to BIOS" and enable the internal microphone?

Eetu

HP Recommended

Oh, I found it myself. Boot and press ESC before Windows starts.

There was Microphone already selected but any way after rebooting the microphone started to work. Not sure what helped!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.