Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laptop HP G60 630us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have no sound after installing Win 10 update KB3199986.   I am unable to uninstall this update.  I poked around forums looking for an answer.  Evidently I need a new audio driver but I cannot find one that works.   Please help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try this workaround for that if your notebook has 4 GB of memory...

A problem with the Conexant audio means that you may hear no sound in Windows 10 even though everything appears to be working correctly.

Microsoft suggests running msconfig.exe, and then click on the Boot tab.

Click the Advanced options button, check the Maximum memory box, and set the value to 3072.

Restart the PC, and the audio should be working again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try this workaround for that if your notebook has 4 GB of memory...

A problem with the Conexant audio means that you may hear no sound in Windows 10 even though everything appears to be working correctly.

Microsoft suggests running msconfig.exe, and then click on the Boot tab.

Click the Advanced options button, check the Maximum memory box, and set the value to 3072.

Restart the PC, and the audio should be working again.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul.  My sound is back.  Don't know if I am using the latest appropriate driver or not.  But since I have sound, I will not fuss with it.  :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There are actually no W10 audio drivers.  Your notebook is using a W7 audio driver.

If you look at the driver info for the Conexant audio chip, you will see a driver date long before W10 was ever heard of.

Definitely, if it is not broke, don't try and fix it.  LOL!

HP Recommended

Guess what Paul.  Now my sound works after I boot up.  But if I put the computer in sleep mode, and then awaken it, I have no sound.  Any ideas on this behavior?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do about that problem.

You're the only person that I know of with a G60 on W10 that reported that issue.

See if installing the latest W7 chipset driver resolves the problem.

Download, unzip and run the setup.exe file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-S...

W10 causes all kinds of crazy things to happen on older PC's, and sometimes there is no fix.

When I do a forum search...no audio after sleep, I see a few posts, none pertaining to your model series, and no solutions.

HP Recommended

I have a G60-549DX. Just wanted to say "thanks" for the sound fix. My Notebook had been out of commission for 9 months, due to my error, and after going through God-knows-how-many "Answer Desk" people, had W10 reinstalled and running. Then I realized there was no sound. Back to the "Answer "Desk," where after 2 or 3 more calls, I was informed that it is an HP problem, that they don't want to support older machines, so that those who have them are forced to go buy new ones, and that had come from contacting HP himself!

Is that the case? I found that a little short-sighted and hard to believe, but if so, because of that and the problems I've had with the Instant Ink program, and the intransigence I've encountered there, when I go to purchase any device, it WON'T be an HP.

Regardless, after the hours of reading through posts here, I was very grateful to find this answer and to have my sound back. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.