Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy 17
Windows 7

When I atempt to view a movie from Netflix streaming i do not have sound. The image quality is fine.

I am using HDMI.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @alp50 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are not getting sound from Netflix via the HDMI connection. I am happy to assist.

Do you get any sound when using Netflix directly to your notebook, or is it only when play the video to the other display or TV via the HDMI cable?

Are the any other websites that you have noticed the same problem with?

Using that same HDMI connection, do you get sound using other applications?

Also, please post the full product number for your notebook. See the following if you need help in finding that.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@alp50 

Do other websites using the same browser (IE: YouTube) play audio?

Going off that just Netflix is the issue:

Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight which can be updated via WIndows Update or through Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Upgrading that is a good troublshooting step to make sure the video playback is working as best as possible.

Netflix has a gret support section for sound issues on a computer:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/219

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi,

High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) allows the transmission of audio and video signal using one cable. If the audio output does not change automatically to the HDMI output, you need to manually switch the audio.

SYMPTOMS

After connecting the HDMI cable to your PC, you do not get any audio signal on the output device, such as a home entertainment set or television.

However, the audio does play back via the speakers of the computer, or through a headset connected to the PC.

SOLUTION

To switch the audio output to HDMI, use the following steps:

- Click Start, and then Control Panel. Select the Hardware and Sound category.
- Click Manage audio devices, listed under the heading Sound. In the window that opens, a number of devices may be listed under Playback.
- Among the listed devices, select the device described with HDMI or Digital Audio, and click Set Default. A green tick mark should show that this device is now the selected output device. Click OK to confirm and close the window.

The audio should now play back via the HDMI output.

HP Recommended

The model is Envy 17 j141 nr.

Audio doesn't work with any source (You Tube). It also cancels the audio on the computer.

I tried a different claptop. On it the audio on the computer is good but on the TV audio is present but very faint.

I appreciate  your help. Tony

HP Recommended

Please try reinstalling the audio drivers. Follow this flow...

Go to Device Manager, anything that you find under "Sound", right click uninstall & remember to check the "delete device driver" option. DO NOT RESTART THE COMPUTER after this.

Go to Programs & features, find your Audio software, uninstall it.

Restart the computer.

Now the device driver will automatically install, give it some time.

Install the latest audio software from www.hp.com.

Let me know if that works

HP Recommended

I spent an hour with Netflix for the same problem. Youtube came in fine. New HP laptop with ughhhh win 10.  Netflix  sent me to the registry on a wild goose chase. Then they had me bring up default speakers - USB to HDMI connecting the Laptop to the TV. Sampling ws 48 kB, 16 bits. For those unfamiliar, D/A converter changes digital sound to analog sound. Higher sampling rates and more bits mean s better audio. Netflix wnted 96kB 24 bits - none of Netflix's business and overkill for a TV. Netflix didn't have a clue. After the session,   Chrome  said reinstall the widevinecdm. That screws up a lot. I reinstalled - everything's fine now.

HP Recommended

Same issue with HP Pavilion Notebook, Win10, latest audio drivers. 

There is no reason I can find that this should be happening.

I have tried all the above suggestions to no avail including trying a new HDMI cable.

HP Recommended

@Greybeard50

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.