Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A red light sometimes appears on the touch pad and freezes the mouse.   Although I have unlocked it, I don't know what I pressed.   Can anyone help?   Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi,

Some touchpads have a 'double tap' toggle that will turn them on or off.  Try the following to see if this applies to you.

Double tap the top left corner of the touchpad - if this illuminates the red light on the touchpad all you have to do to turn it on is to double tap this area again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Not the case here - it's a mystery, but many thanks anyway

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. or Part No. of your notebook

2.  The touchpad manufacturer ( ie Alps, Synaptics ).

3.  The operating system you are using.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

You are very kind.   I hope that this is what you want - I know nothing about computers.

1.    584037-001

2.    Compaq (i think).   It is incorporated on the keyboard

3.    Windows 7.

Since we last spoke, I could hear sound, but the whole screen was blank.   Don't know how I got out of it!

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Model No. and Part No. are located on your Service Tag on the underside of your notebook - these are shown as 1 and 2 on the example in the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Can you post back with these details.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This is small and very difficult to read.   I think the number is X1696072.   If this isn't right, thanks anyway.   I'll get on to technical support on Tuesday.   I'm obviously pressing a really simple thing.   Thanks anyway

HP Recommended

Hi,

I know what you mean, it's not the easiest thing to read - do you have HP Support Assistant installed on your notebook?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes thanks.   Not a major problem now.   I'll wait till after Monday's baank holiday.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Ok, If it's any help, HP Support Assistant should show your Product Number - see Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.