Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pentium 8GB 2TB Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have had my HP Pentium 8GB 2TB Notebook for a year and 2 months. Today, my google chrome was acting funny. Freezing for ages, not closing, then my laptop shut down by itself. Automatic repair loop starts and doesn't want to go away.

Youtubed the issue and many people had an 'Advanced Option' to restart their Laptop / PC to brand new to get around the issue. I had no option.

Contacted Microsoft and every option they told me to select didn't work. Then I randomly clicked on System Extensive Test...

My results:

Battery Check: OK

Processor Check: PASSED

Wireless Module Check: Passed

System Board  Check: Passed

Hard Drive SMART Check: Passed

Hard Drive Short DST Check: Passed

Hard Drive Optimized DST Check: Passed

Memory Extensive Check: FAILED

Memory Module 2 : Bottom - Slot 2 (right)

My warranty ran out 2 months ago. Me being an idiot, I thought no need to renew it, as I've never had massive issues with PC/laptops. I use it for social media, youtube and streaming.

Now here's my questions that I hope forum can help me with;

1) Is the Memory Extensive RAM?

2) If so, I have 8GB of RAM, is this bottom - slot 2 the core issue that's causing Automatic repair loop?

3) Can I go into my laptop and remove this slot of RAM, have less than 8GB of RAM, but a working Laptop again?

3.5) Would you suggest I do it myself, someone who has never done this before but can follow youtube videos perfectly?

4) Does HP offer their services to those without warranty?

5) What price do you think it will cost to go to HP or an outsider? I do not want to be ripped off

6) Any ideas what caused the RAM in slot 2 to go? I have had this latop for 14 months, its a disgrace it has gone.

7) How do i contact HP? DO they have a live chat, like windows, where I can speak to them without being a warranty customer? 

Sorry for the extensive questions, I am someone who wants to know EVERYTHING before taking the correct action to resolve my issues. 

PS - Would my serial # / product code help?

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was able to resolve the issue by reinstalling windows 10 from a USB. Thanks for your help with the memory issue again. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hi,

I would need the exact model name, product number to answer most of the queries.

But I'll try:
1) It is the RAM module
2) Yes it would be the bottom slot as indicated. Automatic repair is due to this.
3) Yes you can continue working in this laptop if you take out bad RAM out assuming there are two 4gb sticks in the 2 slots respectively totalling to 8gb.
4) Need the exact product number of your laptop
5) Yes HP would offer services, but with a labour charge, if out of warranty I suppose.
6) Need the full model name
7) No idea, RAM or even any electrical component can go bad anytime, just a voltage fluctuation is more than enough
😎 HP would charge you for support if out of warranty. If it is doable, then you can try yourself.

Yes product number (not serial number) would be good to start with.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

product code: N7J55EA

HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: apply to your model
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653884

Specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04791632

Your laptop came with Intel Pentium 3825U processor with a single 8GB DDR3L memory module in 1 slot.

If you remove this module, notebook wouldn't boot.

You've to replace it with a new one

Page 2: Intel Pentium processor machines comes with a single RAM slot and upto 8gb max possible RAM, which is already what has come with your machine from factory

Get the exact same configuration, speed and voltage module as given in manual and as old one. You can buy from good brands like Crucial. They have their own online scanner listing compatible upgrades.

DDR3L 1600MHz PC3L 12800 204pin 1.35V SO-DIMM SDRAM

HP part number 693374-005�

Page 46 shows there is not much of disassembly to do. You've to take out bottom cover carefully to see the memory bay.

Video: keep in mind that your model would have only 1 slot
https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7771404&MEID=CF9496C3-F4CE-4C61-AF9B-DDB805BA498A

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi Visruth

Thank you so much for your help last year on the matter. I finally got around to buying a new memory stick compatible with my Laptop from Crucial on Amazon. 

However, when I started my Laptop, the following message appeared: 

Automatic repair

Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC

Any advice? 

HP Recommended

I was able to resolve the issue by reinstalling windows 10 from a USB. Thanks for your help with the memory issue again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.