Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP laptop bios is corrupted and cant even boot.  I have found and downloaded the drivers sp47531.exe for it.

To burn this on an usb, when I try to double click this on another computer(working), this opens InsydeFlash.  This tries to update BIOS on working laptop and then fasils with IHISI: get support mode fail in SMI !

Can someone please help as I can't even boot it and all my pics etc are only in this laptop?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Not_techie123, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand the BIOS got corrupted on your PC and you are not able to boot into your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try restoring the BIOS and check if you are able to boot into your PC.

Refer this article to know how to restore BIOS.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the message.  I dont remember of any software or hardware changes.  I referred this article earlier and its not much helpful. 

Restring the BIOS using key press combination didn't work.  The only option left was to restore using external storage device.  After finding the right BIOS software, it doesn't work when I try to extract it as its opening InsydeFlash as per my previous email.  My product number of laptop is -

Product - VJ342EA#ABU

Model - dv6-202sa

Many thanks for your help.  I have got a workin Dell laptop from my friend that I am using to extrac this software but its of no use.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Not_techie123, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I Appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please try downloading the BIOS using this link.

Just follow the instructions in my previous thread and load the BIOS onto a flash drive and check if you are able to use restore the BIOS.

Note: Make sure the size of the flash drive is less than 4GB.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am trying to extract your file.  It comes up with exactly same insydeflash screen.  Documentation link that you sent is different from the one that I see.  Can you please try to execute it yourself and see. If you want, I can send you screenshot.  Please let me know, how to send it as I dont think, I can add attachments here.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Not_techie123, Thanks for quick response and time.

As you mentioned you still are unable to execute the file.

I have tried it in the LAB and file executes without any issues.

It looks like system board on your PC has failed.

Also, try running system diagnostics on your PC.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics.

If you are unable to boot into F2 system diagnostics it is a hardware issue.

Please contact HP support and get service options.

Link to contact HP.

Hope you have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am extracting the file on a working laptop.  As a matter of fact, I borrowed a working HP laptop of my friend and tried there as well and this still comes with the same InsydeFlash screen and then doesn't proceed from there.  It seems it tried to update BIOS of the working laptop and thus fails.  sp47531.exe in question is not doing what its expected to do.  Can you provide the BIOS file without executable that I can burn on a bootable usb and try that.  Motherboard is not an issue as sp47531.exe is not executing on a working laptop.  Thanks for looking into this.

HP Recommended

@Not_techie123, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you are unable to execute the file on a different PC.

I would suggest you try downgrading the BIOS to F.04 Rev and check it helps.

Please find the link to download the BIOS.

Also, I don't have the file in ISO (Image format) you can download some third party application and convert the file to ISO.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have downloaded this next version and even this opens InsydeFlash screen.  There's something basic wrong with these exes.  Please let me know, how can I send you a screenshot?

Can you please extract me the file and give me BIOS directly rather than in the exe.  This will save me all the hassles. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Not_techie123, Thanks for your quick response and time.

As you mentioned you are still unable to install the BIOS, It looks like you have provided a wrong product number of your PC.

Please provide the serial number of your PC in a private message I will check the correct version of BIOS for your PC .

Please find the screenshot attached below to know how to attach the picture.

Note: The icon marked in red click on it to attach the picture.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.