Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 17 17t-j100 QuadEdition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop was fine. I chose to update BIOS from HP support site.  It appeared to download and proceed correctly, then restarted.  It never returned from black screen.  I Tried to boot bios recovery with windows key + "B".  No affect. 

Boot process is power LED on, two while slow flashes on the caps lock key.  Also tried the windows + "V"  key. 

Please help. 

Below is the version and the URL location chosen for the BIOS upgrade.

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)       F.69 Rev.A          11.8 MB               Mar 13, 2017

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-17-Notebook-PC-series/6521474/model/6521475

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @lseibold

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting after trying to update bios.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below article to restore the bios.

http://hp.care/2bXONjA

NOTE: Follow steps for recovering bios using external storage.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @lseibold

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting after trying to update bios.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below article to restore the bios.

http://hp.care/2bXONjA

NOTE: Follow steps for recovering bios using external storage.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette,

Thank you for your help.  

At first I thought this would not work, as the first half of that link is what i tried (windows + "B") to get to the BIOS reset tool and area, did nothing at all.  I acquired a new thumb drive (USB flash) and moved to another computer to expand the downloaded BIOS file, and tried it.  It did the same nothing.  

I repeated to the process and got the same nothing, then as a last effort, I decided to move the drive to the other USB slots before giving up.  Low and behold, the second USB slot with the windows + "B" caused the drive to read the new BIOS image and restored the BIOS of the laptop.  I assume there is a version issue (USB2.0 vs 3.0) or a priority to the USB locations or something similar going on.

I appreciate your help and thought making note of this one added step should help someone else.

HP Recommended

Hi @lseibold

Thank you for posting back.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.