Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17" Touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today I went to the page for my Envy to get updated drivers for the network.  While there, I saw a bios update dated 8-3-16  (today)   and went ahead and installed it.  It said in a box that it had to restart my laptop and that was the last time my laptop worked.  I now have a black screen and the cap lock key flashes twice and then pauses and then flashes twice.  Over and over.

The system doesn't recognize HD, DVD nor USB drives.

Is there anyway to bring this system back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @campyrs52

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand that you are getting a black screen when trying to turn on your HP Envy 17" Touchscreen Notebook. I am happy to look into this for you!

First I would recommend to try Recovering the BIOS, and then if that does not work, try the steps in this guide, Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this post helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @campyrs52

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand that you are getting a black screen when trying to turn on your HP Envy 17" Touchscreen Notebook. I am happy to look into this for you!

First I would recommend to try Recovering the BIOS, and then if that does not work, try the steps in this guide, Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this post helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  After hours of frantic searching, I found directions on how to make a BIOS repair external drive.  I made a thumb drive using that method, held the windows key and the B key down and prayed to every Diety I could think of.  After 9 hours of a black screen with the cap lock flashing 2 on, pause, 2 again.  Over and over.  The thumb drive began flashing and the screen started flashing and a cmos-type screen appeared and repaired the BIOS. 

The laptop is up and running again.  I have to tell you I probably will never trust a BIOS update again after this fiasco.  I trusted HP, that the drivers they posted for my device were good.  I learned a valuable lesson.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

Thanks again

campyrs

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.