09-24-2012 03:16 PM
I have HP dv6-6135dx running windows 7 64 bit, I restored it to factory settings and since then it won't boot. I get the \BOOT\BCD error I mentioned. I know it wants me to insert a windows 7 disk but I don't have one, so I have no idea what to do from here. any help would be great, thanks.
09-24-2012 03:19 PM
If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD. Download the ISO from the link below.
You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here. Once created, or if you already have this, insert the Rescue CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it. Select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt. When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting the notebook.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)