Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15 u011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently had issues with the battery no longer holding a charge / being detected by the laptop about a week ago.  This resulted in a "CMOS checksum" message when I boot up my computer as well as a Battery warning and a suggestion to have it replaced.  This usually causes the laptop to take a VERY long time to boot up (probably literaly 5 minutes).  The laptop also can't seem to keep the time anymore.

Reading from this thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Envy-x360-battery-short-and-CMO...

It seems that there isn't a dedicated CMOS battery.

The laptop could be powered on through the AC adapter.  The moment the AC adapter plug is disconnected, the laptop shuts off, leading me to believe the battery can't function anymore.

I replaced the battery with a matching one from amazon.  The battery seems to work since I can remove the ac plug without having the laptop suddenly shut down, but I still get the very long boot up time, and now it seems that the laptop can't detect the battery.  The indicator in the taskbar indicates "Plugged in / not charging" or "no battery detected".  I no longer get any messages related to the CMOS or the battery, but booting up the computer still takes a very long time.

I've tried accessing the BIOS and tried to make all the settings adjusted to the default, but this doesn't seem to help.

The warrenty has expired for the laptop and I would to see if there's an easy way to resolve the issue as it is right now.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI.silflay3

Try updating the bios:

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

5.9.0.0 Rev.A24.3 MBMar 20, 2016

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72853.exe

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS | HP® Customer

Let's see if we are lucky with the problem.

Regards.

************** Click the thumb up to say thanks **************
**** Please mark accept as a solution if it solves your problem ****
HP Recommended

No luck with that solution.

Oddly enough, I don't think that UEFI contains a BIOS file.  I get the following error:

"The selected BIOS image was not available.  You may select an alternate image file, or cancel the update."

Going through the directories, I can't find any BIOS images that are different from the current one when I install the UEFI into the hard drive partition.  Installing the UEFI into a USB drive leads to empty folders in the BIOS directories: "Current" "New" and "previoius" comes up empty.

I've tried reflashing the same BIOS that was in there, but that didn't seem to help either.

The current BIOS version I have installed is F.26, 1/19/2015.

Using the same UEFI, I attempted to run a battery check, but the interface "freezes" at 1%.  The interface seems to be able to check the processor fine.  I don't know if this might narrow down my issue.  This is with the third party battery.   I'll attempt this again with the HP battery that it initially came with sometime tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Attempting to run a battery check on either of the batteries (the original battery and the replacement) runs an error that says "No battery is installed" Could something else be wrong here?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.