Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 6460b
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello together;

my little boy 5 years plays with our HP 6460b. Man Sad  and liked with playing all the tabs on the notebook Smiley Very Happy and Woman LOL what then happens on the screen.Robot LOL

But later on when I wanted to get into the bios and realized that it doesn't work. BIOS passwort is needed.

product: XU550AV

(removed content)

Can you help me ? Thank you very much.....

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may have to contact HP privately but before that please try (all lower cases )

e9l3vv3uug

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

As we have properly understood your issue please follow these steps:

The simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

Anyway, open up the computer case using a screw driver and locate the flat, circular and metallic CMOS battery. It should look something like the picture to the right. Some computers have this part standing upright.

Once you have located it, observe how the latches are holding it. There are many different ways to remove a CMOS battery but the most common way on newer computers can be seen in the picture below.

Make sure to power down the computer, unplug the power cables and unplug any USB devices if they are powered. The computer must not be able to get power from anywhere for this to work. Take out the CMOS battery and wait 10 – 25 minutes before putting it back in. The reason for this wait is because the computer can still store power in its capacitors even though everything is unplugged. The waiting period allows enough time for them to discharge.

Plug everything back in, power up the computer and enter the BIOS again. If everything went well there should be no more password. In some cases, if you get weird error messages during bootup now, you will need to goto “Load BIOS Defaults” in BIOS and save the changes to fix them.

Nitin singh guleria

HP Recommended

Hello again,

thank you for your quick answer.

Up to know both solutions doesn't work. 

What can I do more ? 

What is more, if I press F10 the BIOS with the BIOS Login picture

I can start the Laptop with the Windows. Maybe there is a way to solve this problem over W7.

A BIOS Update or with a Service Pack ?

Thank you for your help

HP Recommended

Sure you can go ahead with that if you want to try with that and please let us know once it is done.

Nitin singh guleria

HP Recommended

Hi,

See the solution by @REO51ST on the following link.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/forgotten-bios-password/m-p/5493109/highlight/...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@FredFeuerstein1

Removing the BIOS/RTC battery will not work.

Trying to create a pass code from the serial number will not work.

@DavidPK has the correct SOLUTION.

REO

HP Recommended

Hello together and many thanks:smileyindifferent:.

So the first things with the delivered number doesn't work. Also CMOS battery doesn't work as your collegue

mentioned. Then I tried it with the little prgram on the link from your hp side. 

There, I need a USB Stick to boot the Laptop HP 6460b. But the boot option from USB is also locked because

after starting the Laptop the message comes "there is no start device" and after putting a "device" it will work.

By pressing F9 for boot option only the harddrive can be choosen. 

So what can I do know ? Does the sended link with the little program also unlock the bios by using it with the

normal hard drive ? I can start the Laptop with windows but changing some necessary hardware over bios or

update things also doesn't work because of missing BIOS password.

Thank you for your help and already answered help. :generic:

See you and thank you very much :generic:

HP Recommended

I suggest that you contact HP directly  because Enterprise class notebook such as yours have very stringent security.

I could have helped you with a consumer class notebook, but not with an Enterproise class machine.

If your notebook is no longer in warranty, then take a look at the following links, specifically the 2nd one.

The following website has a hardcore method of doing it. 😉

https://ghostlyhaks.com/blog/hacking/27-microsoft-windows/36-how-to-reset-bios-admin-password-on-hp-...

The following third party BIOS Mods website has a utility that is known to work.

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-HP-Probook-Elitebook-BIOS-Password-Reset-Util

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@FredFeuerstein1

When creating the program to unlock the laptop click on the tabs and you will find the option to create the unlock program on a hard drive.

Use a SATA to USB cable to create it on a HDD.

ConCable.JPG

Then remove the HDD from the locked laptop and install the one you create with the unlock program.

Boot from the drive you create and run the unlock program.

I have at least 10 of each for my tec's to use at all times.

If you can not create one and you live in the US then I can send you one free of charge.

Just let me know.

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.