Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear all,

I have a ZBook 14 on which I have defined a password for the Guest User of the BIOS. Accidentally I lost this password and now I cannot access anything in the BIOS. Is there any way to reset the Guest User password?

Thanks,

H. Moraes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you don't have access to the Bios Administrator account, cannot remember your Guest password and have not set-up HP SpareKey you will need to Contact HP Business support.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi PeerOne,

I have two options to access the Bios of my notebook: as Admin; or as Guest.

I never had the admin password, so I was working with a Guest user. This user enables a lot of configuration options (enough for me).

It is possible too define a password to this Guest user. Actually, it is possible to create an Guest account with name and password. I did this but, as I said, I have  accidentally lost the password. After all, I cannot access the Bios Setup as Admin (I do not have password) neither as Moraes (Guest user account created) due to the lost of the password.
   All of this work was done to achieve a Bios configuration to boot Ubuntu in a UEFI mode using the SSD disk.

I am using a HP ZBook 14, with Ubuntu 14.04. What is P/N?

Thanks in advance,

Hermes.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you don't have access to the Bios Administrator account, cannot remember your Guest password and have not set-up HP SpareKey you will need to Contact HP Business support.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks David,

I will try.

Best Regards,

H. Moraes

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I've tried contact with HP support. After few useless solutions attempts, they said the only option is motherboard replacement.

I really don't believe that HP doesn't have the BIOS Admin password of it's products.

With best regards,

Hermes

HP Recommended

Hi,

It may just be worth trying HP again - you will usually need to get this escalated to at least the second level of support.

The only other option ( other than replacing the system board ) if this proves impossible, would be to replace the bios chip - an example of what you require can be found on the following link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-for-HP-ZBook-17-ZBook-15-ZBook-14-Mobile-Workstation-No-Password-/...

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.