Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook / 15-ay114ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Recently I tried to setup a new HP Notebook 15-ay114ng running Windows 10 Pro, but I was unsuccessful and am stuck now. When installing all the drivers from the HP support pages, I also installed a BIOS update from version F.13 to F.23. II downloaded the program and ran the update, but there was no error, nor was the version of the BIOS changed. Then I booted In the HP diagnostic UEFI environment and found under "Firmware management" that I could choose "Apply now" to update from F.13 to F.23. The flashing procedure was reported to be successful. But upon rebooting the screen went black and nothing happened (except for the noise of the fan and the hard drive spinning). I tried to follow the instructions under https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833, but no HP BIOS update screen appears. What else can be done?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

In such situations there is not much that can be done - you can and should follow the instructions in the article you point  including the BIOS recovery flash drive steps.

If this does not work, you will have to contact the HP Support team and probably send the device for service.

Here is how to contact HP Support > https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Just so that you know for future reference - General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

In such situations there is not much that can be done - you can and should follow the instructions in the article you point  including the BIOS recovery flash drive steps.

If this does not work, you will have to contact the HP Support team and probably send the device for service.

Here is how to contact HP Support > https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Just so that you know for future reference - General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi IT_WinSec,

thank you for your answer. I tried the bios recovery from usb stick with the old bios version F.13 and it was successful; everything is as before the bios update.

The reason I attempted the update was step 9 under https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04973149, but the no sound problem is also back. Since this a different issue, I will start a new thread.

HP Recommended

You are most welcome 🙂

Thank you for the clarifications for the reasons of updating. No, this is just a general recommendation that is listed in the HP article. The issue is caused by incorrect/incompatible driver, not the BIOS. Keep this BIOS version F13 .

With regards to the sound issue, I see you have created another topic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.