Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello, I have a problem with my laptop hp compaq 615. It was working fine and suddenly when i wanted to turn it on i get a black screen. It starts fine i hear a cooler, then stops and nothing on display shows. I was looking accross the web for my solution and didn't find any so am posting here. There are only 2 lights one for power button and one for wireless/bluetooth button. W/B button is blinking all the time orange to blue. Capslock button isn't blinking which I found out that it shows light codes if something went wrong with memory, proc, hard etc. I removed a memory to check if maybe the light isn't working on capslock. After i started the laptop without memory i get same black screen, capslock is blinking 3 times in a row that indicates that something is wrong with the memory, but W/B button isn't blinking in that situtation. I put the memory back and i get same result, blinking W/B button and black screen. If I may add the feeling that i get when starting up the laptop is it stops starting up when W/B button starts to blink.

So I think if W/B button is blinking, maybe wireless card has gone wrong and needs changing??? But its silly that laptop won't start because of that.....

Detailed info on laptop: Compaq 615,

Serial: [Personal Information Removed]

Product: VC289EA#BED

Warranty: 1y1y0y

Model: CPQ615URM - 76Q5X320MBNNCN22F-a

Model number: D40

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Bino_84,

Welcome to the HP Forums! You hear the fans turn on and stop and nothing shows up on the display. So does it say blank the entire or something comes up and then goes black? It is going to be hard to diagnose this problem without getting it to turn on at all. How long have you had the notebook for?

Try doing a power reset. Remove both battery and the power cord. With them disconnected, hold down the power button for 30 seconds, this will disperse any remaining or flea energy. Then try the battery first and if that doesn't work do both battery and power cord.

In case it becomes relevant what is your operating system?

Finding your OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thx for the welcome! 😄

I have the laptop for about 2-3 years, problem occured just recently.

Screen is always blank and same result if I plug it to another monitor.

Done the power reset many times no effect.

Just got memory from another laptop replaced it same result so i think memory is fine, checked hard on desktop PC works fine. Replaced wireless card same result.

So if the caps lock isn't blinking one time i think processor is fine too.

Only thing that i think is not working properly is graphic processor or mainboard has passed out.

Personal opinion is that I think GPU is the problem.

I found this solution http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc4bdy_hp-pavilion-dv6000-blank-screen-vid_tech

Maybe it will work to burn it than leave it to cool of to reasamble???

P.S. operating system is Windows 7 but i think that has nothing do with this problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Bino_84,

If you have tried another monitor is does sound like a GPU issue. Without the computer turning on we are not going to be able to test anything. With the computer being out of warranty you can give that dailymotion video a try. I have heard before that this may resolve the issue. Obviously, I can't guarantee that it work but it looks like your best bet.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have got same problem. I tried to connect it to externel monitor (via VGA port), but it shows black screen too. What could I do?

Thanks

Petr

HP Recommended
i am experiencing the same problem. mine has win 7 64 bit
HP Recommended
Hi, I have a similar problem. Turned laptop on, fan starts but nothing happens on the screen. Caps lock light flashes four times. Laptop is about six years old so well out of warranty but would like to get it working so I can at least access what's on there before replacing. Any help gratefully received.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.