Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I believe i have the blink code 1. My computer screen is blank and the caps lock and number lock blink once and then a few second later they blink again and so on.  I have an Hp pavilion dv6. But my questions is that should i just get a new computer rather than having this get fixed. My warranty is up so I'm assuiming it will cost a lot to go through hp. and my computer is 2 and a half years old. The reason why i am hesitant in buying a new one is because the last few days i got it to turn on once but then once it shut off or went to sleep, it never turned back on.  What should i do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey Mosk2,

Here you go - Blink codes.  Says that the single blink on the caps / num-lock is the CPU.

If you have the money and want to replace the unit, then this could be an excuse.  On the other hand, it's not a huge expense to fix, your data on on that notebook...  Be sure to take / send the computer to a reputable shop.

If you fix it, AND buy another one, you have TWO notebooks.  Could be nice.

It really is up to you.  If you only have the one computer, it might be time to start a collection - unless you are a minimalist, in which case, you must keep just the one that works.  Smiling.

HP Laptops: Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes

HP_notebnook_blink_codes.PNG

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I'm a college student and i need a reliable computer. Any idea if this could cost a ton? Would i be better off just getting a new computer? And any idea how much a new cpu would be?

HP Recommended

Hi Mosk2,

I don't know the answer for the repair question.  I'd be guessing about costs.

Based on what you are saying (and what I am hearing you not say):

In With the New!

It is time for a new computer if you can figure out how to get one on whatever budget you have.  If you have parents that can kick in the cost (or partial cost), so much the better.  You might be able to get a better system if that is the case. 

New Vs Old

The advantage of a new system is that everything will be new, AND under warranty.  The disadvantage with the old system is that once the box is opened, something else could go wrong.  Even with the best technician and the best intentions, things don't always go as planned.  You might end up with more than one thing to have repaired or a longer than planned repair period.

Lost Love:

Even if you get the old notebook repaired, you are afraid of it now.  The romance is over.  Next time it even slows down, you'd panic and have a heart attack - proabably right before finals.

Data Retrieval:

You could do is buy a new notebook; take your old notebook to the college IT guys and ask them to help you get the data from the old hard drives transferred over to your new computer.  Most IT people live for this stuff.  You might be able to pay them in Pizza and beverages.  The task is not terribly difficult assuming the data is OK,  the disk drives are not archiac, and the Windows flavors are the same.   

OK... after all that, if you still want to know about fixing that old computer:

For practical and useful advice, you could send a Private Message plea for advice to one of our Forum experts.  Rather than explain the entire issue again, introduce yourself and refer him to this post so he can read answer here if he has time to respond.   banhien

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.