Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Notebook 15-r160sa
Windows 8.1

Hi

I recently bought a HP Notebook 15-r160sa but having problems with trying to connect it to my TV via HDMI.  I have updated all the drivers and the windows updates are all up to date as well.  However, whenever I plug in a HDMI cable to get the screen on my TV the laptop brings up a Blue Screen (of Death) which says:

😞 Your PC ran in to a problem and needs to restart. .... if you would like to know more, you can search later for this error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys)

I have had a search about for this error and most solutions seem to be about updating graphics drivers.

I have another HP laptop which hooks up to the TV fine with the HDMI cable.

Any help would be very much appriciated as I bouththis laptop specifically to use with my TV.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Stuart_C ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums. Lets see what we can do with your HDMI issue.

There are a few things that may cause this to happen.  You could have a short in the cable you are using.

There could be an issue on the port that you have the tried to connect to on the tv that could cause a signal to make the notebook have an issue.

Here is a link for your notebooks supported drivers and software.

HP Notebook - 15-r160sa Drivers

When removing and adding your drivers please try doing the uninstall while in safe mode so that no other drivers or software are loaded that may cause issues.

Windows 8 Safe Mode

So after you have tried a combination of the following.

Alternate HDMI cable.

Alternate HDMI destination.( Another TV)

Then removing and installing drivers using safe mode.

Troubleshooting HDMI display and sound issues

Follow this link.

Troubleshooting HDMI display and sound issues

Here is another link you may find of interest.

Can a monitor cause a BSoD?

Basicaly there is a good chance the port on the display you are using may be the cause but try all the other steps first.  If they all fail and you are still getting the BSOD from connecting to the display try another one.  If the problem is still there then you are looking at a repair.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you for posting and let me know how things go with this.

Have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.