Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

H @bardofd,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you are having an issue with the notebook freezing up.

Have you checked for viruses and malware?

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant ?

Have you checked for hardware failures?

To assist you further I will need some more information.

What is you exact model of HP notebook?

What operating system are you running?

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up button below.

Hope this helps!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

HP Envy 15 Notebook PC - Model 15-119so.

I have same problem. Bought it to use for schoolwork mainly. I had problem from day 1.

Starting PC. Can work for 45 mins. Then suddenly i get a total freeze. Ctrl Alt Del dont work. Talked to support about that and some synaptics mouse driver failure.

Had some guy remotely access my computer but didnt help at all.

Had a friend to install clean windows 10 and removed all the HP tools to see if it was some bugs with the HP TOOLS.

He got the mouse drivers to work properly but when windows wants to uppdate it still freezes.

THIS IS HORRIBLE ERROR SINCE I USE THE COMPUTER FOR SCHOOL TESTS AND SCHOOL WORK AND I LOOSE ALL DATA IF THE FREEZE OCCUR.

So 2 different WINDOWS versions. 8.1 It FROZE and WINDOWS 10 FREEZE. SHOULD I CALL BATMAN?

HP Recommended

Hi @Henrik75,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Try turning off Microsoft "fast startup" located in the power options. (It is under the shut down options.)

It worked for me.

HP Recommended

As stated months ago, my restart function very, very rarely worked. Always stayed in a restart loop  / stall therefore I would end up doing a hard boot. I have both Windows 10 and Kubuntu 14.04 (Linux) on my HP and it happened with both OSs. I rarely use Windows. Today I booted to Windows to check for Windows 10 and HP updates. There were several HP updates; all of them having to do with RealTek drivers. Believe there were 6-7. They downloaded fine. Then 3-4 more followed and installation failed on 3 attempts. I thought perhaps they may have been superceded by the others though I have no idea. For grins, I clicked restart and it actually worked. I then let everything load up and hit restart again and it worked. Moments ago I restarted in Linux and it too worked. Hope it stays that way. Anyone else have my experience? Those updates may have been waiting for weeks on my Windows side; I don't really know.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue as everyone else. Had the laptop since May last year and it’s been pretty useless since day on thanks to restarting/freezing for no reason, the fan works extremely hard on the most basic tasks and I can’t turn of touchpad pinch to zoom options as the settings doesn’t save, nightmare for randomly zooming in on webpages! Not good enough really. Any help would be appreciated as I’m completely fed up with this machine.

HP Recommended

I bought an HP ENVY 15-j151sa on 22/2/15 from Amazon UK.  From the start I have regularly had the laptop  totally freeze up on me whereby the mouse pointer wont move and pressing Ctrl Alt Delete does nothing.  The only thing I can do is switch it off which makes it incredibly unreliable.  After reading many reviews on this laptop it seems to be a common issue - is there a resolution that actually works?

HP Recommended

No fix I'm aware of. And my restart issue is now at 50/50. Wish I had never purchased this laptop. First pc I have purchased without a thorough review search. Shame on me this time. My newish HP 5520 isn't much better. As time passes and new equipment is needed, I seriously doubt I'll give HP any consideration. Sad.

HP Recommended

I bought an HP ENVY 15 j151sa in May last year.  From the first day it was unreliable and kept freezing with the fans on full or crashing.  I eventually sent it back and the BIOS was replaced.  A week later it started crashing about 3-4 times per day.  After a while again I sent it back again (together with 50 minidumps)  and it had a motherboard and CPU replaced.  I received it back with a note saying "We're certain it is definitely fixed this time.".

Within a day it had started freezing.  I finally lost patience and the system is now being refunded.  I was open to HP replacing with a like-for-like, especially with such a long time with it being unusable, but their idea of 'like' was an ENVY which didn't have the same fingerprint reader and stuff.

Not impressed.  I think there is a design flaw in this model.  I'm now back in the marketplace for a laptop but I won't be buying HP again.  Shame, as the looks/features of the ENVY range would be good if they worked.

HP Recommended

It's a shame for sure. Mine's great (I no longer use the touchpad / use a wireless mouse) other than restart. If I pay for a feature I expect it to work. Restart isn't an option you can live without. With assorted system updates etc, it's a neccessity or you run the risk of screwing the whole thing up if the only option is a hard boot during the process. As common a problem as this appears to be, it seems like it'd be a very simple fix by now; be it hardware or software. Though I'd be less than enthused with sending it in for repair, that would happen only with an absolute guarantee it would never happen again. No thanks HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.