Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-as000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a brand new (less than 1 week old) HP Envy 15t-as000 w/ a 256GB SSD.  After flawless behavior for 1 week, the laptop can no longer boot.  No boot device is detected.  If I try to run a diagnostic on the hard drive, the BIOS informs me it cannot even detect a hard drive present (see attached image)

I have no idea what happened.  I'm very careful with my machines.  It has not been dropped. It has not been dropped on, or taken any sort of blow in any way.  I just pressed the power button one day (yesterday) and I see this:

IMG_3162.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I followed through on your recommendations and sent the laptop back to HP for replacement (I bought this unit straight off the HP website).

I'm frustrated though because after all taxes and shipping charges both ways, I had to pay an additional $10.  The grand total for the replacement order was $739.79 vs. $730.90 for the original purchase.  Why am I being penalized $10 ($8.89 to be exact) for a mistake that wasn't even my fault?

Also, I had to pay $24.83 at FedEx for the packaging to send the laptop back.  How was I supposed to know I should have brought the orignal packaging with me from Seattle, WA to Ithaca, NY because the SSD was going to fail in my college dormitory?

So in the end, my $730.90 HP Envy is now going to cost $739.79 identical replacement unit + $24.83 FedEx laptop packaging = $764.62.

Bottom line: HP's screw-up costed me $33.72!  Not the end of the world but still a nice ding when one isn't yet a career elite with a nicy cushy salary.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
With this computer being only 1 week old I'd recommend returning the unit to the retailer for a refund, sounds like a loose connection on the hdd
*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****
HP Recommended

That is why there is a warranty. I had the same thing happen with a new Lenovo laptop I bought last year (and have since replaced with an HP). The M.2 mSSD went bad and disappeared from the BIOS. Lenovo was good enough to send me a replacement drive only which I swapped in and restored from my backup. See if you can contact HP through the Support Case interface and get them to do the same for you. And you may have the option to return it to the retailer. You did back up any data you created on the laptop, right?

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/scm/home?ac.admitted=1471295959791.1123376534.1994...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I followed through on your recommendations and sent the laptop back to HP for replacement (I bought this unit straight off the HP website).

I'm frustrated though because after all taxes and shipping charges both ways, I had to pay an additional $10.  The grand total for the replacement order was $739.79 vs. $730.90 for the original purchase.  Why am I being penalized $10 ($8.89 to be exact) for a mistake that wasn't even my fault?

Also, I had to pay $24.83 at FedEx for the packaging to send the laptop back.  How was I supposed to know I should have brought the orignal packaging with me from Seattle, WA to Ithaca, NY because the SSD was going to fail in my college dormitory?

So in the end, my $730.90 HP Envy is now going to cost $739.79 identical replacement unit + $24.83 FedEx laptop packaging = $764.62.

Bottom line: HP's screw-up costed me $33.72!  Not the end of the world but still a nice ding when one isn't yet a career elite with a nicy cushy salary.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.