Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have tried two HDMI cables for 3 year old HP Pavilion g6 to connect with HDTV. Both cause the HP to overheat and shutdown. It worked a year ago but former cable broke. I have dusted by blower underneath.  I was trying to watch free movie on HULU.  Does not overheat when using otherwise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @kathcat,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

The quick answer to your question is clearly yes, because you are experiencing it. However, it should not cause this problem, and it is more of a symptom of a different problem. So the real question is why is it causing your notebook to overheat?

Like any type of electrical connection, it will draw current through your computer, and if your power consumption is already high for other reasons this will raise your heat level.

I include this as an FYI.

Why Computers Generate Heat

And this one will help in showing things you can try, to help reduce heat, including cleaning.

Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Also if you post the full product number I can look for the correct service guide which should include disassembly instructions, which definitely will help with cleaning as long as you are careful and follow all the instructions to avoid causing accidental damage.  How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Let me know if any of this helped.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @kathcat,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

The quick answer to your question is clearly yes, because you are experiencing it. However, it should not cause this problem, and it is more of a symptom of a different problem. So the real question is why is it causing your notebook to overheat?

Like any type of electrical connection, it will draw current through your computer, and if your power consumption is already high for other reasons this will raise your heat level.

I include this as an FYI.

Why Computers Generate Heat

And this one will help in showing things you can try, to help reduce heat, including cleaning.

Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Also if you post the full product number I can look for the correct service guide which should include disassembly instructions, which definitely will help with cleaning as long as you are careful and follow all the instructions to avoid causing accidental damage.  How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Let me know if any of this helped.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

All of this information helps and was very understandable as well as the videos.  I would like to ask one more question and that is "does this HDMI cable draw more current than just normally using my computer because my computer does not overheat otherwise?"

HP Recommended

@kathcat 

Under normal circumstances the current draw is not very high in comparison to other devices.

If it seems to cause a very great change then there are three possible sources of the problem. The cable, the HDTV or your notebook. If there is a defect or problem in any of those, it could cause an abnormal amount of current to flow, due to something like a short, or faulty connector.

The normal limit on a HDMI cable is +5V at 50mA (max) according to the specification of HDMI.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.