Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G4 1303AU
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I had windows 8 running on my system, then i thought of installing linux (mageia distribution) onto it. For that i formatted the whole system and created primary and extended partitions as well as some unallocated space was left for linux.

Then i installed windows 8 on one primary partition C. I installed linux on the unallocated space and followed the steps shown in this video      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLu1NwsZr48    

I did'nt understand what was going on though .

After that i didnt get the grub 2 GUI screen so i restarted the system and windows 8 booted up normally and automatically.

I now decide to remove the linux partitions cz they were not shown on the boot screen ( for dual boot option)

So i went to dskmgmt.msc and tried to delete the partition that contained linux. The process of deletion continued and ultimately hanged. So i restarted my pc and boom, the pc wont boot up into windows 8.

It shows win8 logo and hangs... I tried formatting, there also it shows the splash screen with logo and hangs, in windows 7 it loads the files, comes up to the part where logo builds up and hangs, tried mageia live cd also, there too it hangs on the splash screen.

I tried defaulting the bios, i tried formatting using usb, everything.

The harddisk gets detected as "notebook harddrive" in bios....so i dont think it must be a hardware problem.

I hope there is a solution because the laptop repair shops say it is dead. I dont trust them because how can a partition damage the harddisk physically !!

So please reply soon with some solution..

I would be obliged !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Piyushshekhar wrote:
i used the seagate seatools too....but it hangs when i attach the enclosure and refresh !
I know my harddrive is not permanently damaged....it has just corrupted its mbr nd partitions, but m not able to clean or format those partitions... Also i dont have a big electromagnet to wipe off all the data.... So help

You may refuse to accept it, but if Diskpart -->List volume or list disk does not see the disk when the data and power connectors are active, then the disk controller has failed.  The hard disk is dustbin material. Replace it with another new hard disk.

An electromagnet won't wip the data from the hard disk. The hard disk uses neodymium magnets as p[art of its design.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Also the safe mode is not working.....nothing is happening !! data is wiped off too...

HP Recommended

You can clear the partitions by booting to the recovery disk and then going to command line.

Use the Diskpart utility to clean and prepare a disk.

See the following YouTube video for a tutorial on using DiskPart

https://youtu.be/q9nc1PAhieQ

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The recovery disk also does not go beyond the splash logo ! How am i supposed to go further ?

HP Recommended

Do you have access to a Windows 7 or 8 install media on USB?

You can use it to access the command line.

You can also remove the hard disk from the notebook and temporarily connect to to an available port of another Windows desktop PC .

Once that is done you can use Diskpart to remove all partitions that are on the notebook hard disk. 

HP Recommended

i have bootable windows 8 usb and a windows 7 recovery dvd..... both of them do not go beyond the windows splash logo !!

I am trying this since 2 days and even now

HP Recommended

You can use either one to create a usb install flashdrive by using another Windows PC and the Windows 7 usb download utility.  You will need a 4GB USB flashdrive to do this

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http...

HP Recommended

What is the purpose of this ? i have a bootable pendrive with windows 8 on it and a bootable windows 7 dvd.... both of them cannot access the harddisk....the setup doesnt go beyond the logo screen.... then what will a flash drive do ? i just need to get into the disk partitions somehow....i am not getting any access to the hard disk !!

HP Recommended

@Piyushshekhar wrote:

What is the purpose of this ? i have a bootable pendrive with windows 8 on it and a bootable windows 7 dvd.... both of them cannot access the harddisk....the setup doesnt go beyond the logo screen.... then what will a flash drive do ? i just need to get into the disk partitions somehow....i am not getting any access to the hard disk !!

The objective is to use the Windows DVD or the Windows installer usb media to access the command line.

If you read my previous posts, you will see that I have provided access to a means of attempting to correct the issue you are having with your hard disk.  The built in command line utility named Diskpart can resolve the issue. The problem is that when you installed Linux it created partitions of a type that Windows cannot recognize. That is what you need to fix. 

If you don't get that, then you may need to take your notebook to a shop and have a qualified person do it for you.

They may just tell you that you need to replace the hard disk.

That is the simplest way to do it. The downside is that it makes more money for a shop but costs you more to resolve the issue.  The choice is yours.

HP Recommended
the problem is.... I cannot get into the command line too... I tried using recovery disks, i tried using mageia live disks, also tried the enclosure... whenever i insert these recovery disks with my hdd attached, the whole process hangs at the splash screen of those setup screens( windows 8 setup logo screen, windows 7 setup logo screen, mageia splash screen). i tried the enclosure with another laptop... I hear the ding sound when i attach it as an usb, but dont find my hdd anywhere... I can see it in disk management > universal bus list as 'mass storage'.... But cannot access it.... I also tried to find it in bios screen, it shows as 'generic external' but wont boot from it ( i get the same windows 8 logo which was previously installed on the hdd and thats all)
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.