Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV4-2161nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP-Pavilion dv4-2161nr model. When I turn it on, nothing appears on the screen and after about 45 seconds of it staying on, the caps lock and num lock LEDs repeatedly blink 3 times. After doing some research I thought it might be a problem with my memory, but it turned out to not be the case. I tested the memory in another laptop and it worked fine (even ran a memory test and it passed). Tried reseating the memory every which way you can possibly do it with no luck with the laptop exhibiting the same symptoms. Some interesting symptoms do happen that have puzzled me when I remove the memory altogether:

- If the laptop is plugged in via the AC adapter, when I remove the memory altogether and power the machine on, it'll power on for about 10 seconds (nothing displayed on the screen), appear to shut off for 1 second and then power back on again repeating this cycle non-stop.

- If the laptop is powered just by a battery, it'll turn on for about 10 seconds and power off and that's it.

I've disconnected pretty much everything from the motherboard that I could. I even tried to remove the CPU. With the CPU removed, the power cycling on and off that I described above happens even when the memory is plugged in.

I have another Pavilion working dv4 model that is a bit older, but with the memory removed on that laptop, it does not exhibit the same behavior. It will turn on and after about 45 seconds the caps lock and num lock LEDs will start blinking 3 times. So I am assuming that would be the expected bahavior on the non-working one as well, but it isn't.

Anybody have a clue as to what this repeated turning on and off means?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Look here for the problem codes...

HP BIOS Beep Codes
Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

The links you provided do not pertain to my model. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.