Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 610 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I bought a Compaq610, and i'd like to update its bios. I downloaded the updater, but it required the bios password and I don't have it.

May I kindly ask if there is a way to recover/reset or delete the passoword?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How to reset your laptop BIOS or CMOS password ?

You can reset the bios password by different backdoor tricks. Here’s a list of backdoor tricks:

1. Reset by backdoor passwords
  2. Reset by software
  3. Reset by bios jumper and solder bread
  4. Reset by C-MOS battery

Reset by backdoor password –

There are some of backdoor passwords which the bios manufacture company creates to open the bios menu in case of customer forgets our own password

Resting by password cracking software -

We can also remove the bios password by the cracking software’s like “Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip”. We also use Hirens Boot CD because it’s bootable software which contains numbers of diagnostic tools and a live operating system.

Resting by bios jumper and solder bread -

You can also break the bios by CMOS jumper. Shorting the jumper till 20 sec can reset your biospassword. Mostly the bios jumper (solder bread) located, nearest by the ram slot or the CMOS battery.

Resting by C-MOS battery – 

All the cmos and bios setting is saved in the bios chip which was attached on the motherboard. The main work of cmos battery is giving a continuous power supply to the bios chip to save all the settings. If you unplug or remove the battery for above 5 sec, the bios setting will be reset.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If you enter wrong password 3 times- or just leave it blank & hit enter 3 times you should get a message about "System Disabled" and a halt code. Post the code here.

If you do not get a halt code-then the answer is no backdoor password for this model.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

How to reset your laptop BIOS or CMOS password ?

You can reset the bios password by different backdoor tricks. Here’s a list of backdoor tricks:

1. Reset by backdoor passwords
  2. Reset by software
  3. Reset by bios jumper and solder bread
  4. Reset by C-MOS battery

Reset by backdoor password –

There are some of backdoor passwords which the bios manufacture company creates to open the bios menu in case of customer forgets our own password

Resting by password cracking software -

We can also remove the bios password by the cracking software’s like “Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip”. We also use Hirens Boot CD because it’s bootable software which contains numbers of diagnostic tools and a live operating system.

Resting by bios jumper and solder bread -

You can also break the bios by CMOS jumper. Shorting the jumper till 20 sec can reset your biospassword. Mostly the bios jumper (solder bread) located, nearest by the ram slot or the CMOS battery.

Resting by C-MOS battery – 

All the cmos and bios setting is saved in the bios chip which was attached on the motherboard. The main work of cmos battery is giving a continuous power supply to the bios chip to save all the settings. If you unplug or remove the battery for above 5 sec, the bios setting will be reset.

HP Recommended

and what can i do if the laptop has no backdoor password??? throw in the garbage????

HP Recommended

Hi @jimmy0385,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand there is a message - "Bios Password" on your screen and you need assistance with the same,

You would have to contact HP phone support for a hardware service as the motherboard may require a tattoo/Bios Flash.

Any other way of unlocking the BIOS is not authorised by HP.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi,

thanks for your reply, to see my problem please visit the post:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-to-Remove-Power-on-Password-on-Compaq-610...

Maybe you can tell me the steps to Flash Bios, without Windows Based because the laptop dont start the Operating

System.

thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @jimmy0385,

Thanks for the update,

I see from the previous post that you are getting a message "Power ON Password" message on your screen. In this scenario, the only option would be to tattoo the motherboard or flash the Bios, now this can be done only in the HP service center. Any other way of unlocking the Bios is not authorized by HP.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.