Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 that is about a year old. These days I have been experiencing problems with my laptop. The problem is that the top hand corner gets hot, and then my laptop automatically shuts down itself. There is plenty of battery on my laptop, and it also happens, while my charger is plugged into it. This mainly happens when I am at school, where  I do not bring my notebook fan cooler. I can basically do nothing, because every 30 minutes it will automatically shut down itself. It even happens when I am in "Battery save" mode. This is starting to irrate me, because I have only had this laptop for about a year, and my warranty just expired so there isn't much I could do. I have read about this being a problem to a lot of people...

I am wondering if it has something to do with my battery, because it is really bad. It only lasts for about 30 minutes from 100% to 10%. I do not know what the problem is, because I have no expertise in laptops.

I hope  you can help me.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

You should post your issue on the laptop forum.  

If you bought your laptop using a credit card then check with your credit card company about a possible warranty extension.  Some credit card companies do extend the manufacturer's warranty by 1 year on electronics when the device is purchased.

It's possible that there is too much dust inside the PC.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for answering me.

Unfortunately I did not buy my laptop using a credit card. I will post the issue on the laptop forum, I did not notice that I had posted this on the desktop forum.

HP Recommended

I'm having similar problems, and am wondering if perhaps the cooling fan placement has anything to do with it?  I am a stickler when it comes to continual upkeep of electronics, but for whatever reason I have an issue with overheating with this particular model.  What I've noticed in comparison to compaq/HPs I've owned in the past is that this particular issue lacks risers (I don't know what the 'technical' name would be, but past computers had little square pegs o' sorts that popped out, to provide a bit of angled lift) to promote circulation of air.  I especially find it problematic depending on what surface I've got the computer on -- a wooden table-top designed specifically for laptops tends to be the worse, oddly enough, opposed to a non-porous surface my drafting table provides.  I've also noticed that when it does indeed overheat it makes a strained clicking noise, that abates if I shoot a blast of duster into the fan, thus providing cool air to aerate through.  Overheating is less an concern if I prop shims beneath the rubber risers provided, but that isn't always convenient nor realistic depending on where I find myself.

Possible design flaw?  Is there anything that could be done, long term, that will rectify this minor conflict?

HP Recommended

Dear readers:

I would like to review the hardware, software, complaints, actions and issues related on last 2 weeks browsing on reviews on forums and from my own experience. Opinions are only mine.

I own a Compaq Presario CQ60 series 404CA (I think meaning Canada, place where I bought it 18 mo ago). On middle Sept 2011, one night the laptop suddenly screened to black and shut off. I panicked a lot. I inmediately turned on, but laptop did not even resisted 15 sec of running on. I waited one hour. It started good and run. But later the shut off problems repeated. Nowadays (difficult to be believed by your boss or client), the Compaq shut off occurs naturally, not even playing games (which I dont) or having Skype video chats (which I do a lot). This can naturally happen after a mere 15 minutes.

After browsing on forums, I concluded that overheating problems is a hardware one. Irrespective of what processor your laptop runs (mine is AMD), the problems seems to be on the GPU/Graphic Processing unit. There are thousands if not dozens of thnds of personal computers that use Nvidia GPU, series G84 and G86. This GPU were installed on laptop and desktops as well.

Lot of people complaints that after a year and a half or something like this, the laptop screen suddenly goes to black screen / loose conectivity; and start to shut off. Then you have to wait until device cools down. According to tech replies on forums, there are problems with the GPU pins that insert from graphic chip into waffle; and also the resin that covers the chip itself (the so called "die").. Some let`s say "official" replies blaimed our user patterns of turning on / turning off the laptop.... It is not a battery issue, it is not a power setting issue, it is not a BIOS config issue (because I set mine with fan running ALL the time and it continue to shut off; then I bought an external fan cooler in the hope to overcool, but it happen the same); some tried to change power settings, but later they said that problems persisted. Other updated GPU driver, it seems it worked for as period. Other upgraded to higher OS version while another downgraded. In my opinion, It is a hardware problem. Whom to blame? OEM like HP, Compaq, Dell and a lot of others? Taiwanese Nvidia manufacturer of those GPU?? Win Vista beacuse of the excess of processess running at the same time? According to forums, HP and other took precautions to help clients, but other forumers say not to pay the inspection fee, no matter if warranty expired. It seems that in 2008, Nvidia filled a K-8 report to USA´SEC announcing they will take money to previsions to face some situations (aka "the complaints"). It seems there is class suit action running over there (arguable because Nvidia knew they had a tech problem). Up to here is enough for the technicalities, reasons and context.

What to do then? There is a forumer who said it found a place in MA USA where tech shop fuse, refuse or weld the GPU to motherboard. If your laptop if out of warranty, maybe this is an option. I`m temporary in Panama and two technicians said they knew of this problem; and that bios approach, speed fan freeware, ext fan cooler are not solutions, only mitigations. One said that in Compaq CQ60, the GPU is too close to chip, so both heat reciprocally. By the way mine goes up to 114 Celsius on core and 108 Celsius on GPU... What worries me in terms of hardware problem is the thermal stress on GPU and motherboards after going up and down that temperatures, suddenly shut up, cool period, then again the cycle of overheating, shut off, etc, etc.

So what I did? Because I use mine as a travel device, Im counting on it seriously. So I have just bought another one on japanese brand. Buy only after purchase I discovered it run an Nvidia processor but of different series. So I`m crossing my fingers. I want to explicitly say that Im not here to make any subliminal publicity of another makers. But you could ask yourself: What about ATI on japanese OEM? What about HP with ATI? There are reports on the increased market share of the last one. Any coincidence over here? My old, old laptop was a Toshiba with ATI and never experienced this. Maybe you guys would like to consider HP for a (prevision) new one, but HERE, in other forum there is list of HP series that have this overheating problem. And there, later, it appear a list of Dells.

Interesting consequence of this? If you start to paranoically look for the GPU processor on new models to buy, possiblity is that your wont find anything wrong because being new, nobody is still facing or complaning on this kind of problem.

So, if anyone is familiar with this,  could ypu disclose his / her way of fixingPlease do so. I would like to keep my former Compaq. Regards, LOGISTIKA_TSM.

HP Recommended

Just read your thread....and have the same problem with my Presario Laptop overheating and shutting down. Model # CQ60 404CA. Unit is out of warranty, but contacted HP supervisor today and asked to investigate GPU issue and a way to fix. For now I have been using a cooling plate that seems to be doing the trick, but this is a bandage solution. My overheating problem initially started when under warranty, but got some bad information from where I purchaed the product, so it never got fixed. Very interested to see if the GPU is in fact the culprit and how HP corrected the problem and at what cost when out of warranty. From what I read in your blog.... that it is related to the GPU PINS, then my position is that it is a design issue and there should have been a recall.

HP Recommended

In my case, the overheating is a direct result of having updated the bios.

A few months after purchasing this laptop, cQ60, I started having the issue where, when you turn off the PC, you have to unplug it, remove the battery, put the battery back in, and plug it back in to get it to start. Seriously!

I lived with that for almost a year as I didn't have time to spend on getting the pc repaired. And from what I've read, it wouldn't have mattered anyway as the "repair" consisted of the Best Buy Geek Squad doing nothing more than that themselves. But, I digress!

A few days before the warranty was to expire, I looked for any new solutions from HP. Found where they had a new bios for this pc. Updated and violia! It fixed the issue. But then a few days later, the pc started over heating and shutting down.

It happened just once in a while at first. Now it happens everyday and the PC runs horribly. I will try a cooling pad I guess. I want to revert back to the original bios but not sure I can. This will be my last hp/compaq computer. I should have just spent more and gotten another reliable Toshiba. Lesson learned. A $350 lesson. :o(

HP Recommended
I solved my problem by using a notebook fan cooler and an air compresser where I cleaned the area (the back of the top left hand corner) from dust. I did this thoroughly and since then, the problem has never occured! You should try this!
HP Recommended

Thanks Dan!

I have done the air compressor as you mentioned. I will pick up a cooling (fan) pad today. I just reverted back to bios 61 from 65 and the PC seems to be running better. Thus far, when I shut down I am not having to remove the battery to restart.

Glad to here your pc is working well for you! :generic:

Thanks again for the update!

Donna

HP Recommended

Is there any sign of Compaq acknowledging the problem? Has anyone contacted them directly for a fix or resolution and if so what was the responce?

I have tried cleaning it out and all of the above but nothing has solved the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.