Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all.

I have a compaq presario CQ61-420US with similar problems below, except I have a black screen, fan turns blinking lights are the same (num lock and cap lock) but they are flashing continuously every second or 2.  I have tried the hard reset with the ram fix,  connecting an external monitor, changing the battery, and the power adapter to no avail. I also used compressed air on the vents just in case was stuffed with dust since it will overheat and may cause problems, but nothing.

Any other sugestions?

One option I can think of is purchasing a new MotherBoard, but I'm trying anything else before that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

AlexisGonzalezC,

You could try the above the solution the other person sugguested.

Sorry but It is very hard to help you without allowed to touch your computer and troubleshoot it if it is any hardware problem.

I predict your computer's gpu has a  pseudo soldering or cold joint problem.

Good luck.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

If the leds flash or it beeps then the motherboard is fine.

Please give me more details.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
HP Recommended

The LEDs for Caps Lock and Num Lock blink constantly every 2-3 seconds as long as we try to run the PC. I had an SSD drive and because it does not make any sound I change it for a HHD; I can heard the HHD spinning, fan running, there is no light on the screen at all, and the there is no other sounds coming out of the PC.

My son and I dismantelled the laptop to reach the motherboard. After removing the fan, which was relatively clean, we noticed there was not much heat paste on the CPU or the heat sink. Most of the paste was on the borders of the chip itself, sort of squished to the sides. The past on the other smaller chip next to the main CPU was all on the heatsink in a nice square shape and none on the chip itself. We clean it up and reapply paste to both., re assambled the laotop and fire it up....all the same. I looked online for the CPU, so I can purchase one, also for the motherboard. but still deciding whether to spend money on any of it or just buy another laptop.

By the way, thanks for answering my plea for help.

HP Recommended

Well... you can still repair it if the motherboard is not broken or cpu is borken which is costly.

HP Recommended

Hi DerekQ,

Last night I changed the CPU on the CQ61 since that could be one of the possible reasons for the lack of response of the PC. It did not work, so I'm inclined to to think the MoBo is at fault. At this point, I don't know if is worth it to spend money on a new MoBo of just buy a new PC/Used PC that works.

What say you?

p.s. I love to fiddle with things that are broken and try to fix them but ............

HP Recommended

Buy a new computer.

But.... you want to make sure if your cpu is capable with your motherboard that could be this case, but if computer is not beeping or LEDS not flashing, motherboard is the cause.(oh ya if only theres no disk activity)

HP Recommended

This are the signs,,, black screen of death, no sounds, fan not working, CapsLock and NumLock blinks every 2-3 seconds.

I checked on youtube for the same problem and someone suggested the lead of the GPU may have softened due to heat from the CPU thru the heat sink. He fix it by covering the GPU with insulating material that have a square are cut off in the center for the GPU to show. He then heats it with a heatgun to a temp erature of 235 degrees, let it cooldown and turn it on.

HP Recommended

It's a MIRACLE!!  Simple Solution.  I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  Out of the blue today.  From hard resets to taking the battery out to holding the power button down then taking the battery out....lots of combos were tried.  After exhausting all options, I decided to unplug the A/C and let the battery drain out.  Because the fans are still running it will eventually drain the battery.  After I drained the battery, plugged back in the A/C after 5 minutes of letting it semi-charge, I turned it back on and Euerka!

This should work..I thought I was doomed!  So just let your battery drain while it is on even though the screen is blank. Remove the A/C obviously to drain the battery.  Once the battery is drained, this will automatically shut off your laptop.    Once you have drained the battery, plug it back in - after a few minutes of it chargning, turn the laptop back on and it should work!

HP Recommended

AlexisGonzalezC,

You could try the above the solution the other person sugguested.

Sorry but It is very hard to help you without allowed to touch your computer and troubleshoot it if it is any hardware problem.

I predict your computer's gpu has a  pseudo soldering or cold joint problem.

Good luck.

HP Recommended
newbie here pls pls pls help m some of my computer problems tnx
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.