Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a CQ61-429US here that was working fine one day, next day turned it on and I am welcomed by Power light on, Wireless light on (orange) caps lock and numbers lock lights flashing twice - pause - repeat.  The charge light is on (plugged into A/C) and the power light is on, drive activity light never even flickers.  Screen is black, never posts, nothing ever comes on the screen (hence can't enter BIOS).  The Fan is running, the DVD drive makes a few clicks, but never boots even with a bootable disk in the DVD drive.  This is what I have done so far:

Connected external monitor, tried booting while using fn/F4 keys to activate the external monitor display - no change, nothing on the laptop display or the monitor display.  Have held the fn key and pressed F4 numerous times waiting 3-5 seconds in between presses to see if anything ever display - never get anything, just the same num/caps lights blinking.

- no change

Pulled hard drive, put in an external USB case, drive can be read on other computers, no errors found when scanned.

Cleaned fan/vents with compressed air

- No change

Pulled laptop battery, removed CMOS/BIOS battery, unplugged A/C adapter.  Held power button in for 1 minute

- no change

Pulled laptop battery, CMOS/BIOS battery in place, unplugged A/C adapter, Held power button for 1 minute

-no change

removed both pieces of RAM, blew out sockets with compressed air, wiped RAM module connections with soft cotton cloth, replaced one piece of RAM in first socket, second socket empty tried booting

-no change

tried same piece of RAM in second socket, first socket empty

-no change

tried second piece of RAM in first socket, second socket empty

-no change

tried second piece of RAM in second socket, first socket empty

-no change

tried both pieces in, first in first socket, second in second socket

-no change

tried both pieces in, first in second socket, second in first socket

-no change

tried the same thing with two known working pieces of memory in all the above combinations

-no change

tried no memory

- no change

Tried booting with hard drive connected, with hard drive not connected

-no change

tried with a different known working hard drive installed

-no change

Tried booting with DVD drive installed, without DVD drive installed

-no change

tried with a different known working DVD drive installed

-no change

tried booting with both DVD and Hard Drive removed

- no change

removed wireless mini card and tried to boot

-no change

removed modem mini card and tried to boot

-no change

tried a completely new A/C adapter

-no change

Never any display at all, never a beep, just those two blinking caps/number lock  2 blinks / pause/ 2 blinks / pause forever.

I have now taken the entire laptop apart (man there are a lot of screws in this thing!) I have blown everything with compressed air, reseated anything that was removeable cable and plug.  Removed and reseated CPU, cleaned off thermal paste, applied new paste, reassembled entire laptop, went through the remove batteries and A/C plug, held power power button for a minute again, plugged all back in, turned on laptop

-no change

ordered another motherboard and CPU, took it back apart, swapped motherboard and CPU, reassembled did the hard reset again, turn on laptop.

- no change!

I have swapped out just about every part on this machine except the screen and the case with no results.  If anyone could point me in a new direction please let me know.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi Klondike686, and welcome to the HP Support Forums!  Smiley Happy

I am sorry to hear that after all that work cleaning and replacement components, you still did not get your notebook working. I will try my best to help you with this.

According to this document for Blank Screen LED Error Codes. If the LEDs blink 2 times this issue is a BIOS corruption failure and you need to try Updating the BIOS.

I really hope this works for you, please let me know how it goes.

Good luck and have a great day!

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
I would gladly try updating the BIOS, but how can I do that if all I get is a blank screen, running fans, and flashing num lock / caps lock lights?  Never get the machine to boot, never any text on the screen, never a windows loading screen.  Thank You for the advice but I am confused on how I would accomplish this?

@Advance23 wrote:

Hi Klondike686, and welcome to the HP Support Forums!  Smiley Happy

I am sorry to hear that after all that work cleaning and replacement components, you still did not get your notebook working. I will try my best to help you with this.

According to this document for Blank Screen LED Error Codes. If the LEDs blink 2 times this issue is a BIOS corruption failure and you need to try Updating the BIOS.

I really hope this works for you, please let me know how it goes.

Good luck and have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi Klondike686,

I am sorry that did not work for you. You can try a Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset and then you can try Restoring the BIOS using a key press combination.

If this does not work then please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Contact HP Worldwide

I hope this works, please let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

@Advance23 wrote:

Hi Klondike686,

I am sorry that did not work for you. You can try a Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset and then you can try Restoring the BIOS using a key press combination.

If this does not work then please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Contact HP Worldwide

I hope this works, please let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

No Luck with either of the solutions, performed the Hard Reset (have done this about 50 times now) .  I tried the restoring BIOS key combination many times holding the keys for differing amounts of time and the computer either shuts right back off after releasing buttons or goes onto the blank screen with the blinking caps lock / num lock LEDs.  tried anywhere between letting off the keys/power button as soon as the unit powers on to waiting 10 seconds before releasing.   I guess I will have to call techincal support where this whole process will start over and I should get to this point about 3 hours in on the call.   Thank You for your help.

HP Recommended
Hi
I have the same problem.
Are you resolve your problem with technical support ?
Thanks
HP Recommended

I'm now having this same problem. Please does anyone have a  solution? 

HP Recommended
Hello. I'm wondering were you able to fix your laptop? I'm having the identical problem. Eric
HP Recommended

Hello Erico1...

I'm sorry you're having this issue with your Notebook computer. 

Can you please confirm which model of Hp Notebook yuo're using?

Also, can you please observe the keyboard LEDs during startup and see if they are blinking?  If so, how many blinks do you count?

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the Kudos star!
HP Recommended
CQ61-410US . The lites blink twice, then a pause and blink twice. This continues. Iv Tried booting up bios, no luck. I followed the instructions for BIOS boot up or bios recovery
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.