Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I put my computer into power save mode and then it locked up, so I forced shut down. Now, when i turn it on, everything seems to be working fine, but the screen stays black and two lights flash in sync - one by the capslock key, and the other up by the end/sys rq and pg up/pause buttons. What do I do to get it out of this???

- HP g61 laptop

- Windows 7 home prem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

@al1986 wrote:

I put my computer into power save mode and then it locked up, so I forced shut down. Now, when i turn it on, everything seems to be working fine, but the screen stays black and two lights flash in sync - one by the capslock key, and the other up by the end/sys rq and pg up/pause buttons. What do I do to get it out of this???

- HP g61 laptop

- Windows 7 home prem

Try a hard reset:

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

Please post your results here.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi,

@al1986 wrote:

- HP g61 laptop

- Windows 7 home prem

Try a hard reset:

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

Please post your results here.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Bingo! Worked beautifully, thank you. I think it may have also been having hang ups because it was BURNING UP.

HP Recommended

For some reason, my HP G61 seems like it's booting up, but there's a black screen. I tried removing the battery and unplugging the power cord, then press the power button for 15, 30, 45 and 60 seconds, but it does not solve the problem. Can someone please help me, this is driving me crazy?

HP Recommended

I tried this, but it didn't work for me. I held the power button for 15, 30, 45 and 60 seconds, but it's still doing the same thing. Can someone please help me because this is driving me crazy?

HP Recommended

I tried this too and if I can't find something to get my laptop on then I am dead because my history work for my end of year profile is on it and worth like 30% of my final grade 😞 Anyone help?

HP Recommended

when i turn on my HP G61-423E0; CAPS and NUM lock flashes 3 times and then restarts. after the restart, NUM and CAPS lock continously keep flashing every second. please help! what can i do to get it to work. I have done a hard reset but wont work. nothing appears on screen but battery is ok and it charges well.

pleeasssssseeee helpppppp

HP Recommended

Have you found a solution to this?  The hard reset didn't work for me either

HP Recommended
Apple was doing an update that took way too long. It would not close, so I powered the pc down. Now it will not come on. It powers up, but nothing else.
HP Recommended

I was working on my son's dm3 clearing off most of the HP utilities to increase performance. After removing the RAM to inspect, I found the same thing. Black screen, system fans on, power light on. I tried the hard reset several times with no luck. This computer has 3GB ram. I switched the memory sticks and everything came right back up. Makes you wonder if you've got a bad memory stick. I'm planning on pulling both of these sticks, 2GB and 1GB PC2 6400s RAM and installing 2 new 4GB sticks. We're running Win7-64 on this little laptop with an AMD dual core (Athlon Neo 1.6GHz). Microsoft suggests 4GB RAM with the 64 bit version.

Either case, it should speed up this little machine. At 3GB, the memory is 94% and above useage.

Try unplugging your RAM sticks and plugging them back in. Make sure you power down, remove battery and power. And ground yourself!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.