Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

all fans working. But I cannot afford over £300 for repair. Time to buy a non-HP.

HP Recommended

did you try to turn your max  cpu power down to 85% in the power settings?  i had the same problem, that fixed it..

HP Recommended

I have also bought Envy 17 laptop, and I have the same problem. It was already on service due to overheat problem, when it was about 6 months old and they said the fan wasnt functioning. Now the problem is back but this time I will have to pay for repair because the warrenty expired. Awesome. 

Apparently, this product is a piece of trash, a disgrace for HP complany. I measured graphic card and CPU temperature and it was about 90' C. It was heating too much from the first time i pressed the "start" button and nobody can convince me that HP engineers didnt notice that when they were constructing this product. My comp has frozen several times as I was trying to post reply here.

NO WAY I WILL EVER BUY ANY HP PRODUCT AGAIN AND I WILL TELL ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS I CAN.

HP company, you did it purposly. You were selling crappy product with "high performances" knowing that it has an overheat problem and you deserve to be sued for that. Hope someone who can afford to sue you will do it one day. 

HP Recommended

Well, the "maximum battery life" trick seems to solve the overheat problem (that loud fan doesnt turn on any more), but it also lowers the performance significantly. Nominally, its 30% lower, but honestly, its slow as **bleep**. Having i7 processor running this slow is like driving a  ferrari 80 kmph on a highway. I could have bought some cheap ass laptop instead if I wanted low performance. Im pissed.

HP Recommended

Has anyone from HP even responded to anyone on this thread? Personally, feel that HP customer service should step up and address every person individually on this thread. This is a systemic hardware problem and should require a voluntary recall by HP. HP is in the business of selling hardware and this is faulty hardware design.

HP Recommended

I am an old customer of HP. In 2006 i bought HP laptop DV 2000 laptop. After one year of working its display was gone. When checked it revealed that the model has a factory defect which leads to malfunction ogf graphic card due to overheating. I paid more than the price of laptop to get it fixed which also did not work and after another one year it had the sam problem. Simply i threw the laptop.

Thinking that to err is the human , again i bought HP probook 4530s. Awesome laptop and i love it still working like new.  So i decided to buy another laptop of HP with better specifications and got HP Envy 1190CA. Overheating is the problem since day 1. Now it fequently shuts down and works like it is Pentium 3 or 4 machine. totally desparate   and still wonder how the HP engineer could launch a defective product in the market. Do not want to spend money on this laptop, so anyone of you could suggest a solution for this, i shall be always thankful. 

HP Recommended

This is a very common problem with the HP Envy and honestly HP should have recalled the units. I have dealing with HP Support for over a year and the best they can tell me it "ship it to them for 3-6 weeks and pay them $400 and everything will be fixed."

I don't know many people who can go that long without their machine. I certainly do not know anyone who wants to pay an additional $400 when they plunked down the cash for a "premium" machine.

I for one am not going to get lost in the big corporate cog. I have never made a stink about anything... I am this time.

I did not get what I paid for and that still matters in this day and age.

HP Recommended
I download and ran the HP Coolsense app that seems to have once been on the computer but had somehow vanished. It's a bit early to tell, but it seems to have helped.
HP Recommended

All I can do is say the same thing thing that all people who have bought an HP ENVY 17 are complaining about.  Massive overheating under the most routine situations.   Extreme low battery life - only 20 minutes at best.

I bought my ENVY17 through my workplace and have 3 colleagues who bought the same model at the same time in Feb 2011.  All of us tried to return the model for repair within the first year due to excessive fan noise and short battery life but all that came back was the same problem and a new CPU.  Now the warranty is over, the problems are far worse- and all of us seem to be out of luck with no place to turn our frustration.

I am not a gamer - we just use our ENVY17 laptop to surf the net, read and write mails as well as try to watch an occasional movie when travelling.  After only 2 years of owning this laptop, the overheating is so bad, it is no longer possible to watch a DVD and surf time on sites with high graphics demand will lead to an overheat shutdown within 20 minutes tops.

Over 40 hours have been used to search for solutions online and support forums.  We have come to the conclusion - there is no solution other than admit that the HP ENVY17 was a design failure.  The coolant system does not work properly.

HP has not taken any corrective action to recall the ENVY 17 and replace or upgrade the coolant system.  HP still asks its technicians to waste people's time with lots of irrelevant questions when they know the system was made with a design flaw.  This is irresponsible.   When HP recalls the ENVY 17 and either replaces with a new model or repairs the cooling system flaw - I will become a brand promoter.  Otherwise HP has created a very negative brand detractor and I will do what I can to warn others not to trust in the brand.

HP Recommended
how do you turn the max cpu power down? Detailed instructions please, can't figure out how to do it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.