Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello. I bought a new HP ENVY dv6 notebook couple of months back and it is slowing down making my life miserable. I don't know what is wrong with it.  It is almost close to empty and it is still hanging a lot. Can anyone help me fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hhhmm, ok... After you said that, I did a bit of Google searching, and found other people talking about similar issues after their Service Pack 1 updates.  Unfortunately, there was no one quick solution to their computers getting slower.

So here are a few more things to try based on what's searchable via Google, I hope it helps speed up your computer.

a) Install the HP Support assistant, and run the Tune UP as shown in step 5. (Restart your PC if needed.)
b) Run the Microsoft Fixit Tool for performance problems.

c) If those two steps don't help, check your system for corrupt files:  System File Checker (SFC)

d) Finally, check if your Direct X is working and up-to-date: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

That's all I have for you, hope it goes well :generic:

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the right, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey MonsteR211,

It's hard to tell what exactly is going with your computer right now, but I'll post some stuff to get you started.  Please give these steps a try, and let me know how it went.

1. Improving System Performance

2. Windows 8 Stops Responding or Becomes Very Slow

3. Resolving and Preventing Viruses on Your Computer

Cheers,

Wally

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the right, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
HP Recommended

I forgot to mention one little thing.  I have windows 7 installed in it as it came with no OS.

And It slowed down after the automatic updates installed Service Pack 1.

HP Recommended

hhhmm, ok... After you said that, I did a bit of Google searching, and found other people talking about similar issues after their Service Pack 1 updates.  Unfortunately, there was no one quick solution to their computers getting slower.

So here are a few more things to try based on what's searchable via Google, I hope it helps speed up your computer.

a) Install the HP Support assistant, and run the Tune UP as shown in step 5. (Restart your PC if needed.)
b) Run the Microsoft Fixit Tool for performance problems.

c) If those two steps don't help, check your system for corrupt files:  System File Checker (SFC)

d) Finally, check if your Direct X is working and up-to-date: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

That's all I have for you, hope it goes well :generic:

HP Recommended

It is better but it is still not performing the way it should as it was performing without Service Pack 1. Can you tell me what driver for hard drive should I use while installing windows 7 on this laptop?

Because it gives me an error "Windows can not configure the setup on this hardware" when I try to install Windows 7 that does not have built-in Service Pack 1. That is due to Sector type which is RAID. I can't find the driver that works.

HP Recommended

@MonsteR211 wrote:

....Can you tell me what driver for hard drive should I use while installing windows 7 on this laptop?

I can try, I would just need to know the exact product number of your Envy so I can find the specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca

Also, please let me know if you have the 32 or 64bit Windows 7?

Cheers,

HP Recommended

Product number: C7E43PA#AB1

And I don't know which of your solutions worked but the laptop is working fine now but i'd appreciate the drivers anyway.

Thanks for taking out time for me. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Really glad to hear it all worked out ok :generic:    So I checked your product #, and found a few links. Seeing as everything is functioning properly now, I would leave your current drivers as they are... but you can bookmark the list below if you ever need it in the future:

ENVY dv6-7212tx homepage

Bios Update

IDT Audio driver

Graphics Driver

Take care,

Wally

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.