Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

add the thunderbolt drivers to your boot image

HP Recommended

As an update, we decided to switch from the 3005pr USB 3.0 dock to the Thunderbolt/USB-C dock.

I went through my same steps for adding the dock to my WinPE boot image, but it still was not working. (no network connection once WinPE was loaded, even though I had blinking network traffic lights on the dock)

Long story short, I found that the driver for the Broadcom nic that is in those docks did not include code to recognize the sub-device ID of the Broadcom nic in these docks.

I opened the inf file, b57nd60x.inf in Notepad.  Then searched for the lines containing the standard device id, VEN_14e4&DEV_1682.  I copied that line and inserted a new one after it adding to the device id the subsys info for this dock, VEN_14e4&DEV_1682&SUBSYS_168214E4&REV_01.   Injected this edited driver into my WinPE image, and now the driver works for these docks and I get my network when I boot off my WinPE images.

Just to be safe, I went ahead and added a line without the revision 1, in case we get any of these docks that are older.

When you are editing driver files to make a product work, the vendor has dropped the ball.

HP Recommended

Update - HP couldnt fix the PXE boot for the Thuderbolt dock and make it reliable so they removed the PXE Boot feature in the latest bios, N85_0116.

Took a call to Elite Support to figure that one out.   Nice they sell this as an enterprise quality device but they remove a feature that all enterprises use to deploy them.

Your only option now is a USB nic

HP Recommended

Hello,

I still have the same problem.

- My bios is updated to 1.16 (latest one)

- Legancy Boot

- USB3.0 - RJ 45 connector from REALtEK

I still have the issue that after he download the *.wim file he won't apply the operating system.

Using the latest SCCM 1602 version.

Strange thing is that he's installed one time by SCCM and after the Second time he fails. (just tel before in this CASE)

Please who has a solution for me.

Gr Danny

HP Recommended

Hey Everyone,

Here's our experience so far;

We can PXE boot these devices, when using the HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN Adapter (N7P47AA).  Ensure you select "Legacy Enabled, Secure Boot Disabled" in the BIOS settings.

However, it will PXE, download the WIM and the OS image, install it and the drivers (from correct driver pack) and reboot.  This is where you will get a problem, as the network adapter does not initialise properly on reboot (the lights don't flash on the adapter) and the build will fail.  You can at this point, unplug the adapter and plug it in again, and it will carry on and build if you time it right.

This is because these rebranded RealTek adapters have a mode where they will change thier function to a USB Storage/CDROM device if they dont detect the driver fully (so the client OS can then install the driver from the device).  For some reason this happens at that reboot during OSD, even thought the driver pack and all drivers seem to install OK at previous step.

HP have provided us with a RealTek utility which disables this mode on the adapter (presume it makes some firmware configuration changes), after that we have been able to do a full PXE OSD build successfully.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer,

I done that and it seems to be working. (struggeling with SCCM client) After that He only cames up with a network message with network i would connect to. If i choose next it will be go on.

You say

"" HP have provided us with a RealTek utility which disables this mode on the adapter (presume it makes some firmware configuration changes), after that we have been able to do a full PXE OSD build successfully. ""

Where can i find the software and or the settings to do it with my own USB 3.0-RJ 45 adapter?

Gr Danny

PS I will keep this topic up to date today and tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Still problems to Reinstall the Tablet.

Legancy on and disable secure boot..

Pff..

HP Recommended

We were able to run a complete Windows 10 Installation with SCCM 2012 R2.

Setup:

Bios 1.16 

Realtek USB/LAN Adapter

We did the following:

Reset BIOS to factory defaults

Legacy Enable, Secure boot disable

Exit BIOS, confirm with 4 numbers

Enter BIOS again, disable Uefi boot order

Go to powermanagement options and make following settings:

Runtime Power Management: Disable

Extended Idle Power Status: Disable

Deep Sleep: Enable

Wake when Lid is Opened: Disable

Wake on USB: Disable

That worked for us. Now we are struggling in reinstalling. After the Installation the BIOS does not recognize the USB/LAN Adapter. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

HP Recommended

What i Did to make it Work:

SCCM 1602

Bios 1.16.

Realtek USB/LAN Adapter

Reset BIOS to factory defaults

Legacy Enable, Secure boot disable

Exit BIOS, confirm with 4 numbers

Enter BIOS again, disable Uefi boot order

Start the Laptop, Press F12. > He will passtrough PXE Boot and start with the Task Seqence

After Formatting disk, the Windows10.Wim file will download to the laptop. When he want to APPLY the WIM you need to UNPLUG the REALTEK USB/LAN Adapter from the USB 3.0 Port for 10 till 12 Seconds. Then i Turn the Adapter back in de USB Port.

Then he will go on (after 1 ,2 minutes) with the appling the TS.

Gr Danny

HP Recommended

Hello,

we have the same issue and just and wanted to know if there any news about this topic ?

I upgraded the Bios from 1.4 to 1.6. From that point on,  the RJ45 on the dock started to work, but althought when I boot the tablet, the lights on the RJ45 turns on the dock, I get no ip address delivered and so the PXE does not work.

We are using the Elite Thunderbold 3 dock.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.