Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I've had a HP Envy 15 touchsmart laptop (Windows 8 originally, windows 8.1 now) for about 2 months now and havent had any problems, till a few hours ago i attempted to update the bios of my laptop using the hp support assistant. After the restart, the pc would no longer start up and took me to a blue screen with the error message SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Everything I have done so far short of a refresh or reset has not worked and if i could I would like to avoid both as I do not have the bandwith to go download windows 8.1 again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI Calsius:

Thank you for your query.  I will glad to assist any way I can!

After updating to Windows 8.1 , did you create a restore point?  If so ,you could use it to restore back to that date,and not lose your 8.1 updated.  Some Bioses have an option for a Rollback which should not affect your operating system.  I did a Microsoft search and located  this answer  click here.   Here is a document on "Updating the BIOS'   click here.  You did not provide your model number and HP Envy 15, is a series, so I could not get specific documentation for your computer.  Here is a document on "Computer Does not Start (Windows 8)"  click here. If you are able to get your computer back up and running I would update all the drivers, and then create a restore point to come back to if necessary.  If the Bios update should fail a 2nd time, your  restore point  will take you back to just before you retried the update. If you were to use the Recovery option it will take you back to Windows 8 or back to factory.

Please let me know if this has helped.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HI Calsius:

Thank you for your query.  I will glad to assist any way I can!

After updating to Windows 8.1 , did you create a restore point?  If so ,you could use it to restore back to that date,and not lose your 8.1 updated.  Some Bioses have an option for a Rollback which should not affect your operating system.  I did a Microsoft search and located  this answer  click here.   Here is a document on "Updating the BIOS'   click here.  You did not provide your model number and HP Envy 15, is a series, so I could not get specific documentation for your computer.  Here is a document on "Computer Does not Start (Windows 8)"  click here. If you are able to get your computer back up and running I would update all the drivers, and then create a restore point to come back to if necessary.  If the Bios update should fail a 2nd time, your  restore point  will take you back to just before you retried the update. If you were to use the Recovery option it will take you back to Windows 8 or back to factory.

Please let me know if this has helped.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Decided to roll back the bios and everything started working perfectley again, just decides to do the same whenever I try updating again. Gonna try messing around a bit till i get it working and create a system backup before I do so. Thanks for the help with the problem, was very informative.

HP Recommended
Hello Calsius, I have the same problem as you did. I would like to know how you got the previous BIOS. And if you still have it, can you please upload and post the link. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hp makes worst laptops ever ....only because I was Hp laptop user and I had some issues which I resolved by myself  HP technical support only looks for $$$. Furthermore, My HP ENVY 15 BIOS update " Recommended by HP" crashed my laptop. So when I called ( after I found out the Windows +v or b Kes does not work on this model) they told me to send us this laptop and charges will be 300 to $400. Seriously for this much expensive laptop, I suppose to pay more money. NO Thank YOU,  HP Burn in Hell. Never gonna buy any HP product as well as advice to friends and family. Stay AWAY. 

My laptop is : HP ENVY TOUCHSMART 15 NOTEBOOK PC

MODEL : 15-J150US

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.