Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dv7-4177nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This HP Laptop has not been booting properly. After some investigation, I came up across the LED blink/beep problem codes and was hoping to utilize that page.

The problem is, on my laptop, the Caps Lock LED light constantly flashes and does not stop, unlike on the problem code page where it says it should stop to give me an idea of what the problem is.

Additionally, the LED light on the Wireless key is a solid red color. After multiple attempts, I cannot find anything about an infinite caps lock blinking and a solid red light.

I've attempted the hard reset, where I take out the battery and the AC Adapter and hold the power button down for an extended period of time. I've also reseated the RAM sticks. I've also even taken out the CMOS battery and replaced that. 

If possible, could it just be a failure system board/motheboard? I've been told that if I take out the RAM and try powering on the device, the device should beep at me since it doesn't recognize any RAM, but in my case, it doesn't beep.

Any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ToeKnee616,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that your HP Pavilion dv7-4177nr is not booting properly and that you have tried various troubleshooting steps to resolve it.

It looks like you were following the correct document to troubleshoot. Based on the consistent blinking, it is most likely a single blink indicating CPU failure.

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

The Maintenance and Service Guide will have more information about the type of system board your computer has.

HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Thank you, I hope this information has helped.

If this post has helped you, show your appreciation by selecting the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @ToeKnee616,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that your HP Pavilion dv7-4177nr is not booting properly and that you have tried various troubleshooting steps to resolve it.

It looks like you were following the correct document to troubleshoot. Based on the consistent blinking, it is most likely a single blink indicating CPU failure.

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

The Maintenance and Service Guide will have more information about the type of system board your computer has.

HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Thank you, I hope this information has helped.

If this post has helped you, show your appreciation by selecting the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I am able to overheat the computer, turn it off, and then start it immediately. The computer will then come on and function correctly.

Once I turn it off, however, I have to repeat the process above to get it to come on.

Any ideas on how I can fix this???

(When I power it on, caps lock blinks and wireless light is red.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.