Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently followed several driver updates on my laptop as suggested by the HP Support Assistant. I believe most, if not all, of those updates were from Intel. Ever since then, my computer has not been shutting down completely anymore.

No matter if I push the Power button or klick on Shut down through the menu, my laptop will initialize the shut down process and I get the blue screen that says "Shutting down..." but when the screen turns black, my power button light remains on and I can hear the laptop cooling. I basically have to hold the power button for a long time if I want to shut my laptop down completely (and in order to turn it back on later).

Does anybody have the same problem and/or knows a solution? I suspect it might have to do with the new drivers, but I don't know how to fix it (or even how to find out which drivers were updated most recently..).

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download the IMEI driver directly from Intel on the following link, unzip the package and run the installer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26127/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NU...

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

When the machine has reloaded, re-enable Fast Start-up and reboot the notebook once again - let Windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

On some machines, the 11 series IMEI driver has been known to cause this sort of shutdown issue, so it may well be worth trying an earlier version.

You can use the following method to install an earlier version of the IMEI driver.

Download the IMEI driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66228.exe

Turn off your wireless card ( should be f12 ).

Open your Downloads folder and run the installer - it will warn you that this is an earlier version, but just continue.

When complete, restart the notebook.

If the machine now shuts down correctly, turn your wireless card back on and use the utility on the following link to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating the IMEI driver again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for offering a solution to my problem so quickly!

I attempted the installation of an older driver as per your link and instructions. Unfortunately, I got an error message during the installation that stated The setup program failed to start one or more applicaation processes. Setup will exit.

The last item the setup progress was on was Creating Process: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe

Since I could not complete the installation of the older driver, the problem is not fixed. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your Pavilion 14 series notebook - you can usually get this by holding down the fn key and pressing esc, otherwise see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

This is the information I could find using the guide you provided:

Product name:HP Pavilion 14 Notebook PC
Product number:J2J28AV

I hope this helps figuring out the problem with the installation.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download the IMEI driver directly from Intel on the following link, unzip the package and run the installer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26127/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NU...

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

When the machine has reloaded, re-enable Fast Start-up and reboot the notebook once again - let Windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Your last solution did the trick!! My laptop shuts down completely again now.

Thank you so much for your help and patience! I appreciate it 🙂

-Doreen

HP Recommended

Hi Doreen,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Good day sir,
Please I need help on this same issue. I have installed the IMEI and my system is shutting down properly, but the other that needs to be installed didn't work for me. How do I stop it from updating the drivers again?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.