Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion F4A57PA#ABG
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! Good day! I'm using an HP Pavilion netbook and it's REALLY SLOW! I bought this last year, December 22, 2014. At first it was working quite alright. Everything was fast and responding well, but after a month or two my netbook started to become sluggish and now it's REALLY **bleep** slow!

Whenever I start my netbook I always have to wait at least 5-10 minutes before I can enter my password. Sometimes the screen will even go blank for a few minutes then it will reappear with a message saying "Please wait." After that I will enter my password but there is also a delay. When I type my password in the box, the box is still blank and there is at least another 10-15 seconds delay before my password appears in the blank box even though I already typed it and that's the only time I can press Enter.

After entering my password, I have to wait again for at least 5 minutes before my netbook displays everything. Sometimes not everything because on my Task Bar there are times when some icons are not showing up like my File Explorer, Google Chrome, my One Drive, the battery and WiFi icon too! And I have to wait again or refresh until they all appear OR I have to restart my netbook. And sometimes I can't even restart or shut down my netbook 'cause no matter how many times I press the Windows icon, it won't open and so I always end up turning off my netbook or taking off the battery.

I swear it takes a lot of patience just to start this netbook! IF all icons are completely shown, I ALWAYS have a difficult time to open them. For example, I'm going to open a file. I have to wait at least 5-10 minutes and if luck is not on my side, my netbook will just freeze and I have to turn it off again and repeat the start up process. Whenever I use the internet, my Chrome is just **bleep** slow! I used my sister's netbook and it doesn't even take 3 seconds to load a page, but when I use mine, it will take at least 5 minutes to load a page and most of the time it will show a message that the page I'm trying to open isn't responding. And whenever I try to scroll through the internet or switch pages, everything is just all so **bleep** slow! I can't even make a report wherein both my Chrome, files, and Word are open altogether because it will all just freeze then crash. It is so frustrating! I tried to fix my netbook and checked if there are viruses or whatnot but I just can't figure out what's wrong. I have an antivirus and my Firewall is always on. I'm really careful whenever I surf the net or when I save some files but still my netbook is so slow! I don't even have a lot of files saved in my netbook. The only thing I installed was an antivirus which came with this netbook.

I can't even play videos anymore because my screen will freeze or sometimes a message will appear saying that something crashed and I have to reload the page. I can't even scroll through my  Facebook and Twitter anymore because the same problem will occur. I tried to call your customer hotline but the agent can't do anything to help me. He just recommended that I bring my netbook to an HP Service Center. I don't know how much it will cost me just to get this thing fixed. Now, my icons will disappear then reappear like they're being refreshed.

I'm REALLY frustrated. I want this netbook to be fixed. Even shutting down this netbook will take at least 5 minutes. I swear to God that I'm really frustrated and running out of patience but I need this netbook I really want to see it work again just like before. I REALLY NEED HELP with my HP Pavilion. PLEASE?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @UrSoGae,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that your HP Pavilion 10 TouchSmart 10-e004au Notebook is running very slowly. I have researched the issue and have come up with a possible resolution. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Back up your files
2. Disconnect all USB devices before continuing 
3. Boot the computer in safe mode. (Starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services)
4. If Step 2 resolved the issue, perform a clean boot. If not, continue to step 4
5. Run the system file checker tool
6. Follow these two documents:
           a. HP PCs - Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 😎 (I know it says windows 8, but most of the steps will be the same for windows 10)
           b. HP PCs - Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)
7. Stop and Disable "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", "superfetch", and "windows search"
           a. Press the windows key + X
           b. Click "Command Prompt (Admin)"
           c. Click "Yes" to the security prompt
           d. Type "Services.msc" and then press enter
           e. Find "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
           f. Right-click the service and select "Properties"
           g. Click "Stop"
           h. Change the "Startup type" to "Disabled"
            i. Click "OK"
            j. Find "superfetch"
            k. Repeat steps f-i
            l. Find "windows search"
           m. Repeat steps f-i
8. Restore the BIOS, then check for windows updates
9. System Recovery

What do you use as security software? Was there any new software or hardware installed when the computer started to become slow? 

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Why is that 'nonsense' preloaded when all it does is make the netbook practically useless? I have an old netbook (originally on XP) running Win10 which is vastly superior to the newer HP Pavilion 10 TouchSmart 10-e004 which was supposed to replace it. I think now the HP might actually work at its correct speed.

HP Recommended

Your computer: https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04014970

HP Pavilion 10 TouchSmart 10-e004au Notebook PC

1 GHz AMD Dual-Core A4-1200 APU with Radeon HD 8180 Graphics

2 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - Upgradeable to 2 GB DDR3

320 GB 5400 rpm SATA

Windows 8.1 64-bit

These are the "minimum" specifications that Microsoft recommends for 64-bit Windows.

Bad news (please don't shoot the messenger):

* It is unlikely that you will be able to upgrade the processor;

* You already are at the maximum for RAM (both the size and the speed of each stick);

* your only options are a 7200 RPM disk-drive, or an ultra-fast SSD (Solid State Device).

I am presuming that your disk-drive is OK -- not starting to "fail", and thus taking 10 to 100 times longer than normal to read/write data.

By default, Windows 8/8.1 runs the Disk Defragmenter once per week. 

So, manually running it probably will not help the disk-drive's performance.

On the "software" side, don't keep too many applications open at the same time (web-browser, Word, Adobe Reader).

Close each application, when you are finished with it.

Web-browsers tend to "nibble" at the available RAM -- close it, once per hour, to release all that allocated RAM back to Windows, for the next application.

HP Recommended

> Whenever I start my netbook I always have to wait at least 5-10 minutes before I can enter my password.

This is not normal.  At this point, I would suspect that the disk-drive is having problems.

Power-off the computer.

Power-on the computer, and launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics.

Run both the "short" (a few minutes) and the "long" (many minutes) tests against the disk-drive.

Tell us what it reports -- "pass" or "fail".

> The only thing I installed was an antivirus which came with this netbook.

If you are running Windows 10, uninstall this software, and use the built-in "Windows Defender" anti-virus application.

That will help, a bit (pun intended).

Also, Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it, and expand its"storage" branch, then expand the "SMART" sub-branch.

SMART monitors many indicators of the "health" of your disk-drive.

Tell us what you see.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.