Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Based on my own Web research, it would seem that my laptop has a bad CPU. I am writign to this forum hoping to find confirmation of my diagnosis before I spend any money to fix the problem.

When I try to start-up the laptop it hangs-up with a black screen, sounds as if it is trying to read something from the CD tray, and blinks the LED lights by the CAPS lock and NUM lock. According to the link I am pasting below, the CPU has stopped functioning. I want to be sure this is accurate before I buy a new CPU. Could there be other issues I need to address here?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Steve2014,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your post, I am glad to assist you.

I grasp that you are getting a black screen with no error messages. The document you provided is the correct one for the codes.  If the light is only blinking once, it is indicating the CPU.  If you can run the F2 diagnostics on startup, and run the "Run -In Test, this will test the processor.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Steve2014,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your post, I am glad to assist you.

I grasp that you are getting a black screen with no error messages. The document you provided is the correct one for the codes.  If the light is only blinking once, it is indicating the CPU.  If you can run the F2 diagnostics on startup, and run the "Run -In Test, this will test the processor.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello Sparkles1. Thank you for confirming. I have tried many times, and just did again, to enter the F2-Diagnostics screen on start-up but it won't even get that far in the boot cycle. It almost immediately goes right into the single-blink mode.

The laptop is a dv7-1260us, running an AMD X2 Turion 64 processor. I am consdering buying an upgrade replacement AMD X2 Turion, 2.4 Ghz. There are lots of resources online to weed through to find out which one I should go with. Do you have any suggestions on this?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi Steve2014,

Thank you for your reply.

After doing some research, I could not locate a HP recommended replacement, for the CPU.  However, you are only increasing it by .2 Gz, I don't see that it should be a problem.  It has not been tested by HP, so I cannot guarantee the results.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.