Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

i have had my HP for awhile now but it runs really slow sometimes and even freezes on me.  it is a i5 processor and has 4gb of ram and most of the 500gb hard drive is not tused.  i do not play games on it all i do is download and read emails really and use it for abit of web browsing but it is always running hot and running slow.  take for instance i have it running right now and on the and i only have facebook open working on firefox and the ram being used is 3.73gb of total i dont see how this is possble can someone help please.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This might be just what you need -- at least, it is where you need to start:

Dust and "Road Dirt" -- Dust Bunnies in the Vents

Fan Runs Constantly, the PC Notebook Operates Slower than Expected and Generates Heat

Another approach:

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents - notebooks

=====================================================================================

General Cleanup

Another place to look - there might be "stuff" on your system that does not belong, either by design or because it is just accumulated "junk" that needs clearing.  This document will help you sort out what is going on and provide ways to make things run faster and more efficiently:

Windows 7 Stops Responding or Becomes Very Slow After Connecting to the Internet

===================================================================================

Rogues and "Things That are Stuck"

There might be something running on your computer that should not "be there", at least in the sense that the program that is running is maybe stuck in a loop and hogging your resources.  This can happen when ordinary programs "go rogue" due to an error in the Operating System, when there is a "bug", when there is a mistake in the code that makes up the program itself.  Stuff happens and things get stuck.  When this happens, your computer can act like it is working real hard and your are not even doing anything -- anything that you know about, at least.

How to use the Resource Monitor in Windows 7

Reap the benefits of Windows 7's Task Manager | TechRepublic

The Task Manager is smarter in Windows 8 and has a revamped visual reference:

How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8

I hope this helps!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

thank you for your response this laptop is less than 6 months old and i have checked the fan and it is is all clean.  as i said before i think the main problem is the ram running at a very high rate evn when it is not being taxed by other programms also it has always been slow since i got it

HP Recommended

Hello caf3101,

Your notebook is still in warranty if it is only 6 months old.  Call in to HP and speak to a rep, who will help you.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, begin Here.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hello,

I realize this is an old post, but I am having the exact same issue with my Pavilion G6. 

I checked the fan to make sure there was no dust, and it is quite clean.

The warranty is currently up, so that option is not available.

I've actually gone through quite a bit of trouble trying to find the problem, but to no avail.

What I've done:

1. Restart

2. Run Malwarebytes

3. Reformat (including completely deleting each partition) from windows 7 to 8.1

4. Run diagnostics on Memory

5. Run diagnostics on Hard drive

6. Ensure ram is properly seated

7. Run Malwarebytes again

Would you happen to have any other advice?

Thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.