Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavillion G6 g6-1242sa

Starts up with blank screen just fan.

Only had the laptop 2 weeks. Still has the plastic on the top, has been taken care of when using.

I see the HD light blinking, like its loading.

The laptop was shutdown completley last night, went to turn it on today but have this problem.

It was bought from Pixmania, but in their return policy it says that to send back it needs to be sent insured/signed for courier. Also that we take all costs of sending it back. For a heavy laptop I would have thought the cost of doing this would be high.

Is there anything we can try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DualFever wrote:

Yes the chargers are identical! Apart fom serial number ofcourse.

The new charger works in the other laptop. So the charger is fine.

Both chargers do not work in the new laptop, the white LED does not light up. Though if I turn on the laptop, the screen lights up (stays black). HDD light starts blinking like its starting. Just running off the battery I guess.

Is it best to contact the retailer if I have only had the laptop 2 weeks?

Thanks

Yes, contacting the retailer would be best. The issue leads me to believe there is a systemboard issue. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried

1) reseating the memory modules.

2) a hard reset

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I didn't want to open the laptop and reseat the memory modules, would this not void to warranty? Its only 2 weeks old.

I tried the other suggestion, but the laptop doesn't start without the battery in? so what do i do?

I can try again.

HP Recommended

reseating the memory module(s) will not void the warranty.

The notebook should start without the battery installed.

HP Recommended
Ah, well it stays off without battery.

We actually have another HP laptop here. We tried the power adapter.
Nothing changed, but we noticed the White LED next to the power socket does not light up.
I guess this means the laptop is not receiving power for some reason.

Guess we need to send it back :'/
Thanks for your help.
HP Recommended

Does the adapter for your new laptop work when plugged into the other notebook?

If it does, then there is definitely an issue where your warranty will help resolve the problem. 

( are the voltage and wattage the same on both power adapters?)

HP Recommended

Both chargers do not work in the new laptop, the white LED does not light up. Though if I turn on the laptop, the screen lights up (stays black). HDD light starts blinking like its starting. Just running off the battery I guess.

Thanks

HP Recommended

On the pixmainia site it says:

Your product will be repaired by HP. Contact them directly.

repair on a less than 2 week old laptop :Crying:

HP Recommended

@DualFever wrote:

Thanks

Yes, contacting the retailer would be best. The issue leads me to believe there is a systemboard issue. 

HP Recommended

yep iv got the same problem, just bought hp pavilion g6 a week ago, same day i bought it I had this problem. I found whenever I leave the room for a couple of hours to do dinner or something, i have the power settings set so that it just sleeps after about 15 minutes, I come back, move my mouse or press a key, the laptop starts up but the screen is black.  I've been having to press the start button and keep it in to reset the laptop, then get the error message saying it wasn't shut down properly how do i want to conitnue... safe mode etc.  I found that when the black screen happens if i shine a light onto the display i can make out the desktop so i can do a restart from the menu...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.