Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Jerry, you are the man!

google "disable fast boot windows 8" or "disable quickboot." finally did the trick. I can now enter BIOS and change the boot order to boot using USB drive. I have finally installed 64bit Windows 8.1 on Hp DV7.

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Windows Key+B worked great!   Nice thing to know.  Thank you.  My initial problem occurred while checking BIOS for (IDE, AHCI, or RAID) correct settings.  I switched from IDE to AHCI since I'm using SATA drives and thought I would get more throughput by doing so.  System errored out during each boot but can't recall the exact error.  Switched back to IDE and for some reason the system will not boot with NX enabled, which has something to do with protecting the processor from attack if I'm not mistaken.  At this point I have no choice but to leave it disabled.   ~StopTheGlobalists

HP Recommended

Thank you so very much for this solution!!!!! I was going nuts tryinb to get into BIOS on this thing! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.