Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My father in law had me order him an HP Split 13 x2 PC from Best Buy.  I was going to set it up for him then take it to him  when I went to St. Louis for Christmas.  I unpacked it this weekend to begin the set up and the screen will not come on.  I had it plugged into the AC adapter and tried it plugged in and on battery.  I also tried it with the keyboard and without.  There seems to be power (wifi light and caps light come on), but nothing shows up on the screen.  I've tried powering off and on with the button on the back, but I feel a slight vibration from the screen, but nothing shows up.  Can you help?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi Eric90125,

I think the best thing to do would be to go to Best Buy and have them look at it. Not sure about the vibration in it.

Hope this goes well.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I just opened the box on a HP Split X2 with the same behavior - wifi light comes on, power light seems to be on, machine 'vibrates' when turning the power on. Also, when detatching the screen/tablet the windows flag eluminates on the tablet but nothing happens. Please post anything that you found out. 

HP Recommended

Hi Gtpenn,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Amazing, I called the tech support # above and went thru the usual automated operator stuff. When I go to a LIVE speaking individual I realized this individual was NOT an English (by nature) speaking person! I've been down this road with a few other OEM's and the outcome was never good. Having to repeat myself several times as well as having the connected tech repeat himself(herself) numerous times is NOT a productive experience! This is a 50/50 split between an accent that is hard to distinguish and a often poor connection! Anyway if they can supply a solution to my problem all is well. In the case of this HP Split x2 this was NOT the case. The first assistant realized she was NOT familiar with the HP Split and connected me to someone else. After a short wait, a second assistant in a "SPECIAL TECH" section for this HP Split x2, didn't have a clue as to what type of HP product I had! When I explained to him that the unit would not turn on yet the windows logo on the tablet part was lit as well as the wireless led being lit! He asked me if the monitor was connected to the computer??? I replied to him, ver batum, "You do realize this is a tablet that DOCKS to a keyboard?" As I was conversing with him, I flipped the keyboard up looking for the required serial number and the DOCKED tablet's back came into contact with the table and VOILA on came the screen! it went off again and again I gave it a little knock n the same manner(lifting up the keyboard so as to let the tablet/screen tap the table and again ON came the screen! The technician asked if I would like to send it in for repair! It was only two months old! I remarked if he googled this problem as I did he would see their were numerous hits for, "HP Split x 2 won't turn on" and that indicated to me I was not alone with the problem and that it seemed to be a manufacturing problem where (most likely) the graphics chip or ribbon cable has connection issues! I parted company with the un-knowledgable tech with a somewhat neanderthal solution in hand! At this point I advised the owner sending it in for repairs was not the best choice and returning may not be an option either until a newer revised version with the manufacturing flaw corrected becomes available! So, as I learned in a lab class a LONG time ago, sometimes a good smack solves everything! Question is do you use a hand or a hammer! Ya learn sumthin' new every day! I just wish prosperous American companies would use understandable American tech support!
HP Recommended

A very common problem.  Fixed one today.  Hopefully a very common fix.  Inside the tablet/display part of the computer is a cable that comes from the back of the display panel and plugs into the circuit board.  That connector (for whatever reason) was unplugged.  It needs to be plugged back into the connector on the circuit board.  It is not that difficult.  I would compare it to being easier than changing the oil on you car or a flat tire on the side of the road.  You just need to know what your doing and be careful !

The system I fixed was a HP Split 13-g100 x2 PC (PN - E8C34UAR#ABA)

1.  There seems to be 2 different types of tablet/display cases.  Here are the links to download the service manuals for each and determine which one applies to you.

www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03958968.pdf

(instruction to open case on page 45)

and

www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04273417.pdf

(instructions to open case on page 39)

The display cable is a silver rectangular metal connector with a black plastic loop around it.  If it's loose carefully plug it back into the connector on the circuit board.  Reassemble the cover and test.

If this indeed the common fix to the common problem my explanation would be as follows.  Since these (and all) computers are assembled by robots, there was a slight misadjustment in the procedure that did not fully plug this connector into the circuit board.  My second theory would be a disgruntled Chinese slave laborer who just did this on purpose.  In either case I hope this helps.  Let me know if it does.

I am not an employee of Hewlet Packard.  I'm just an old dog who's been working on computers since before the original IBM-PC.

HP Recommended

It worked for me, but I'd rather change oil in a car (maybe not changing a tire on the side of road in the rain). Breaking the screen apart is a little nerve racking but it all turned out in the end (just be carefull and take your time). A mini flat head to help pry the cover off and a mini philips were required for:  

www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04273417.pdf

(instructions to open case on page 39)

IMG_3345.JPG

HP Recommended

Glad I could be of help 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi TXOldDog (or anyone),  Im a TX resident myself (San Antonio).

Would like your opinion, please:   I have quite a similar problem described here: except that my Split X2 sometimes turns on and sometimes it does not.    When is not turning on, if I gently squeeze the screen to the back, it does turn on and it works for as long as I does not turn it off.    I have no idea why sometimes yes, others no.

Questions, (1) could it be the same issue, except that instead of the display cable being disconnected all-together, is simply loose and it needs to be tightened?      

(2) If that were the case, and if I were to venture and open the cover to tighten it,  would it get loose again?  (Or your guess is that it might stay   (no need to say, give it some help with electrical tape)?

Will appreciate your input / feedback.  Thank you.

Anyone else . .  .  that can help it will be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello Ex-Parte,

If you don't press the back of the display,  do any lights or fans turn on?  If yes, and you get the display to turn on only when you press the back of the lid it may be a bad connection  on the video cable that plugs into the display (although that is very rare).   If you reconnect either connector it should not come loose again. If you still have the same problem try this as  I have run across a few cases where the display panel itself is bad.   If you can,  remove the front bezel from the top lid and  unscrew the hinges from the back plastic cover (leave the display panal screwed into the hinges themself).  Then press on the back of the display itself and if you get the same results then you most likely have a bad display panel.  Note the numbers on the back of the display and do a search on Amazon.com for the best price.

I hope this helps and if you need further infomation please feel free to ask.

TexasOld Dog

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.