Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So my new laptop has shut down 3 times in the last 2 weeks, randomly.  No BSOD, no nothing, just off.  kinda like if you unplugged it or removed the battery.  It always turns back on no problem.  All 3 times it was plugged in and the battery was charged.  In the event log is this:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          1/27/2011 3:47:52 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-27T21:47:52.776005700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>60959</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>dv7</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

The 3 event errors are the same.  By random I mean that the first crash was while I was surfing the net with IE8, it was the only thing running and only 1 tab - on yahoo.com.  The next crash I was playing Stalker through Steam.  And finally, when I had only Firefox running with 1 tab and I wasn't even touching the keybord or touchpad, i was just reading the screen, lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I thought I found the problem but it is still shutting down randomly.  I called HP and they said it is probably the motherboard.  I think that is their standard answer if they have no idea what the problem is.  Anyway I have to send it back, I got it for Xmas.  Now I will have to use my old laptop for several days.  I'm not happy, no one cares, have a nice day.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Does this happen in Safe mode?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

HP Recommended

Have the same problem. When you press the on button it tries to start for a few seconds then shuts down. Any help.

HP Recommended

@CZIJAGO wrote:

Have the same problem. When you press the on button it tries to start for a few seconds then shuts down. Any help.

If you create your own post you will generate more responses.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem on an older Pavilion, a zd7000 (already have separate thread:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/pavilion-zd7000-crashes-daily-w-2GB-RAM-runs-fine...

In my case, the problems seem to have begun after expanding from 1GB to 2GB, so I thought it might be a RAM problem, but I do not have these crashes when running with either 1GB in isolation, so I haven't ruled out there being a BIOS issue.  Did you recently add RAM by chance?

HP Recommended

nm

HP Recommended

I thought I found the problem but it is still shutting down randomly.  I called HP and they said it is probably the motherboard.  I think that is their standard answer if they have no idea what the problem is.  Anyway I have to send it back, I got it for Xmas.  Now I will have to use my old laptop for several days.  I'm not happy, no one cares, have a nice day.

HP Recommended

It was the motherboard, they replaced it and now it is fine.

HP Recommended

I am also seeing a random shutdowns my DV7 almost since the time I have bought it. As I told it is an obvious hardware issue as it shuts down while I am working without any warning or blue screen. Just looses power in a blink. I spoke 3 times with a tech support. First time on a chat with some Indian fellow barely getting a clue and 2 more times with a domestic phone support. It seems that they try to delay  any support over time while make you delete all software installed, format the drive to factory settings and work without installing any apps for a month to see if that will happen in their original configuration. That is insane, they try to make you suffer all the way. Their support have gone way worst over years..

HP Recommended

you called it. there support treats everyone like a retard, and they dont care how much they mess up your pc "fixing" it....

find a local shop and pay a few dollars... best bet.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.